Axe Craft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I don't know if this is is the right section or not so mods feel free to move if it is not.

Anyway I recently got a new axe for my birthday, after speaking to a few people and reading lots of reviews I ended up going for the gransfors scandanavian axe and I absolutely love it. I have only used it once in the woods and it got a fair bit of work.

It then became apparent to me that this is a professional tool and I feel like I'm not usingnit it's full potential, I have been on YouTube but can't really see anything specifically on axe craft and have had a look on here and I can't really find anything.

Does anyone have any links with tips that would help me use this tool properly eg. Felling techniques, splitting techniques, how to make and use wedges, cutting fallen trees up eg how wide to make the original v cut etc. I have my own basic techniques which allow me to do what I want but its quite apparent that I have a lot to learn and would appeciate it if I could get some info and tips.

Thanks in advance.

Ps. I am mainly in pine forests with a lot of dead pine so that's what it will mainly be cutting :)

Really good point you've made. So many people just buy an Axe and don't learn how to use it properly and safely.
I've recommended it before on here but Mors Kochanski's book ("Bushcraft") has a good section on use of the axe. Some on felling trees which isn't that much use in the UK, but a very good read.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Thanks for the link gill that's just opened up another chapter of axe craft, never even thought about carpentry! That is a good point about safety, I have always focused on being safe with my tools, mainly my axes and I learnt a lot of this in ray mears essential bushcraft book but it leaves quite a lot of techniques out IMHO.

It's amazing to see the process as well that goes into making these tools but I suppose that's where the quality comes from essentially.

Does anyone have any tips with wedges for splitting as I have seen this being done in a larger scale with 'rounds' but can this be brought into bushcraft and are there better woods to use as wedges or eg can be work on pine? There's quite a lot to talk about but I'm glad this thread is being answered as I really want to be comfortable with my axe and further my bushcraft techniques by learning these kind of things.

tuxdad

Feb 26, 2008
USA
MAN !! I was really impressed at how sharp his axe was !! I really couldn't tell much when the guy shaved his arm, but when he was working that log... WOW !!

Great vid, great post, and great book !! Thank you all for sharing the knowledge !!

Tux

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Thanks for the replies guys that vid and book are exactly what I was looking for so thanks very much. I got the axe book but it's more of a history and process book for transfers, doesn't really show chopping techniques etc but still a good read none the less.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE