Axe choices.

Shade

Nomad
Oct 13, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi folks.

Its approaching new (or s/h) axe time for me.
I have been looking at the GB small forest and the wildlife hatchet prodominantly.
I understand there is some debate as to size vs ultimately portability of these two.
I'd love to hear if any of you have used both.

I totally understand certain things are better at certain jobs but for me this will be my one and only axe.
It needs to be relatively portable and be a general use bushcraft axe.

Would just like to hear some opinions really :)
Also ... other viable options :)

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I haven't personally used these axes but through trawling the forum I found that most people seemed to prefer the scandanavian forest axe so j got that and it's a wonderful bit of kit. Only down side is that it won't fit in most rucksacks. This probably won't help much but it's my 2 pence :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
My thoughts on axes including those two here http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?bl...#editor/target=post;postID=577153686591408563

I have used both and many more besides. I am not a fan of jack of all trade tools like the SFA for packing I would go with the hatchet every time. there are cheaper options such as the Husqvarna. For felling or splitting at home or near a car a proper full size axe or maul is what you want.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I have owned both, and like Robin, I agree that the SFA is far too multipurpose and large to excel in most aspects. The wildlife hatchet is more than adequate for general camp duties when used in conjunction with a good knife and a Bahco Laplander saw (or similar). I've never personally seen the SFA used in cutting a situation where a Laplander saw wouldn't do the job quicker! Similarly, I've not seen an SFA chop wood in a situation where a good little hatchet and a wooden baton wouldn't do the same job, but maybe a little slower.

The Husqvarna hatchets certainly look and feel more than their cost, but having never used one in anger, I can't pass comment on their suitability. There's plenty of posts on this subject, and a good old-fashioned trawl in the forum will yield as many opinions as there are holes in my socks!

Shade

Nomad
Oct 13, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks for the input guys, most informative.
Really just confirmed pretty much what I was thinking anyway.
I will certainly have a look round for the Husq as well as giving some serious thought to the WH.
Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE