Aww nuts!!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Very excited. For the first time, some of the hazel trees I planted in 2014 have started producing nuts. Out of the 200-odd I've planted, I can only see 3 with nuts on them (and they're all within a small radius) but hoping the others will follow suit in years to come:

55095541-16E4-4B1F-85F9-A0A168507C51.jpg

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Nice, always good to literally see the fruit of your labour.
I have one single tree at work that harvest that squirrel nutjob does not visit.

One question, are they Filbert?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'm not sure whether cobnut is a distinct species/variety or just a regional name. I do have a Kentish cobnut (only one) that did produce a good crop until I ran over it with a brushcutter. It's come back from a tiny stump, though, and is a couple of feet high now. These ones were all planted in 2014 from foot high bareroot - just defined as "hazelnut" by the Woodland Trust. Thinking I should have bought more now as they do well in shade (understorey) and there are some gaps I'd like to fill

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I applaud your industry. Uncertain of hazelnut (Corylus sp.) but some fruiting trees have a juvenile phase.
They just have to "out-grow" it.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Found a few more with nuts but only about 5 plants in total. Wasn't expecting anything for a few years anyway. Do hazel have gender?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Found a few more with nuts but only about 5 plants in total. Wasn't expecting anything for a few years anyway. Do hazel have gender?

The female flowers are quite hard to see, tiny red things, but both flowers and catkins occur on the same tree, so monoecious.

They're wind pollinated by other trees, they don't self pollinate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE