Awesome Chainsaw Carving

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
As it says; simply awesome:

PH9Jx.jpg

Story here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-uses-chainsaw-create-tree-masterpieces.html

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Chainsaw sculpture is actually not that hard particularly low relief stuff like this. One of those things that looks impressive but is quick and easy to learn if you can already use a chainsaw. I used to do it 20 years ago but it is a pretty horrible way to spend your working day. These were a few of the ones I used to do.

sculpture-doubleacorn.jpg

sculpture-hunnybear.jpg

sculpture-conker.jpg

sculpture-bart.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Stringmaker that's brilliant :D
It's not just the carving, it's the concept, the design, where it is situated, the whole overall 'rightness' of the piece :D

Thanks for sharing.

cheers,
M

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Stringmaker that's brilliant :D
It's not just the carving, it's the concept, the design, where it is situated, the whole overall 'rightness' of the piece :D

Thanks for sharing.

cheers,
M

Hi Toddy,

Yes I agree, it's about so much more than just the carving; I love "big art" like this.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Painting is easy too - it just involves slapping pigment onto a surface ... not everyone has the eye of a true artist though :)

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Yours are nice Robin but this guy's work is something special.
Look closer at the detail, pure genius.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Nice piece of work stringmaker. Looks totally awesome. But I love the conker robin wood. it looks the bees

I met a guy at the castle howard woodland festival that made similar conker rope swings. First saw them at the sculpture park in Newby hall. Such a neat idea.
P6275196.jpg

'Conker Swing' by Michael McManus - horse chestnut tree wood

Last edited:

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I know I am on my own on this one, chainsaw sculpture of this type is incredibly popular with the public, it is quick and easy to learn and is very well paid. Andy Reynolds does courses in chainsaw carving. http://www.chainsawsculpture.co.uk/carving/carvingcourses.htm
I have seen so much of it over the years though and my view is that whilst being popular art it is not actually that special. The difficulty in sculpture is seeing a finished 3 dimensional object within a lump of wood. The easy bit is detail and surface decoration. There are a few folk that do some stuff a bit more interesting. Andy Frost I think is better than average.
DETgreenman.jpg

Cheryl Campbell also does nice work
13redfoxb.jpg

Then again not many in the art world would consider any of this as art. The only chainsaw sculptor accepted by the art world is David Nash
93f2383b1a3923eec7679035a0016dd0.jpg

6a00d83453a73169e2013480e99d7a970c-800wi

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I think you've identified the crux of it Robin; art is entirely subjective.

In my book, if it takes skill to produce then it can be regarded as art, whatever it is.

The rubbish that the likes of Damien Hirst peddle as art is nothing of the sort.

Incidentally, I think the original piece was done by Andy Reynolds; he is namechecked in the article.

I lied; it was Andy O'Neil.

Last edited:

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I met a guy at the castle howard woodland festival that made similar conker rope swings. First saw them at the sculpture park in Newby hall. Such a neat idea.

'Conker Swing' by Michael McManus - horse chestnut tree wood

Yep I did my conkers as part of "seeds of Beningbrough" when I was still working for the National Trust at Beningbrough Hall in 1993. I made seeds of any tree that came down in the park beech, ash, oak, Sweet chestnut, we strung big conker seeds on ropes and sycamore on fishing line with swivels so they spun. It received a lot of press and particularly the conkers have been copied many times since, they work well but I would not leave them outdoors over winter it is a very perishable wood.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I know I am on my own on this one, chainsaw sculpture of this type is incredibly popular with the public, it is quick and easy to learn and is very well paid....

Hi Robin

We're rapidly getting into a philosophical discussion on what makes good art? Should only things that are difficult to do to be valued as art - does the fact that it's easier lessen it's aesthetic value? Is it the original idea itself rather than the medium or the time and effort taken to realise it the true value of a piece? I'm sure you're not meaning to come across this way - but it sounds like you think the items don't deserve praise because they are "easy" to do?

M

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Yep I did my conkers as part of "seeds of Beningbrough" when I was still working for the National Trust at Beningbrough Hall in 1993. I made seeds of any tree that came down in the park beech, ash, oak, Sweet chestnut, we strung big conker seeds on ropes and sycamore on fishing line with swivels so they spun. It received a lot of press and particularly the conkers have been copied many times since, they work well but I would not leave them outdoors over winter it is a very perishable wood.

OT but, We go to Beningborough quite a lot - the kids love the playpark. Any of your handywork still there?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE