AW woodlore pic?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Heres mine - bought many years ago, when he first started making them actually and as you can see NEVER USED :oops:

awwoodlore5km.jpg

awwoodlore17kp.jpg

awwoodlore28hr.jpg

awwoodlore33qu.jpg

The grain on it is a little `dirty` but have handled it many times - the pics are a little dark too.

Hope that helps :biggthump

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Here's mine:

woodlore_feathersticks.jpg

I noticed that the newer ones seem to have a tapered tang. Mine doesn't but was made in 1998. When did Alan Wood start making them?

-Emile

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
Can I ask Wayne when you ordered your AW Woodlore. Mine was due in Sept but delayed, although I was told that it would be here for Christmas, but alas it's still not here :?:

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I didn't realise they had a tapered tang ,anyone got a pic ?
Thats the only bit about my WS model that i dont like ,my AW Bushcrafter has a tapered tang and feels much more "lively".
What in particular is the problem Wayne ?

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Jake Rollnick said:
Emile, i think they went into production in 1990...

Furthest back I've got is '96 - when Alan was commissioned to do some as gifts for a new BBC programme involving Mr Mears (post Tracks). The article I've got lists them as a "long running commission" at that time.... That one is - as far as I can tell from the photos - not a tapered tang, but has that distinctive kick in the rear of the back of the handle, as with Squirrelboy's.

That was the first time I'd heard of Ray Mears :)

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Im pretty sure I got my knife early 90`s..

It was before all this internet ordering lark,so had to order it `blind` from a printed sheet. The only pic I had was the one in the Ray Mears book The Complete Outdoor Handbook - even then it is only a line drawing :shock: I bought it for £150 and so glad I did.

It doesnt have a tapered tang:

tang0mb.jpg

tang13hb.jpg

:biggthump

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
I received mine late 2002 and it does appear to have a slightly tapered tang:

I also notice that the grind isnt as high on the newer models.
Mine has been well used and works beautifully, though I too must admit to being slightly disappointed when it arrived, late, after the long wait: half of the black came out of the etching on the blade when I cleaned off the protective wax and the edge was distinctly rough in places. It took a good session on Edgepro to sort things out.
Great user, but for the money, can't help feeling it should have arrived in better nick.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Jake Rollnick said:
How have you resisted using it?!
Im sure its a familliar story - a lovely young lady came into my life for the next 9yrs....

Alas shes not around anymore and ah ha! Ive found Bushcraft again... :rolmao:

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Ahh...i see! Well, nect time you photograph it i want it looking a bit rugged :wink: :roll:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE