... avoid first time mistakes ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
There's nothing wrong with having it soft. Having it hard is no achievement.

Personally, I wouldn't say you make mistakes. What you do, however, is discover better ways of doing things. The discovery process never ends. Discovering how someone else does something doesn't count.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Personally, I wouldn't say you make mistakes.

Same here, however, the learning curve will be a steep one, especially your first proper trip, and there are only so many short-cuts you can take by reading this forum - no matter how good we like to think it is. If you get the opportunity, go out with someone who has been hammocking for a while - they might be able to offer advice, but in equal measure you may find a completely new way of doing something that works better then anyone else.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
A spoon! Never underestimate the joy and comfort a nice bendable, lightweight, stainless steel spoon can offer.
A pair of light leather gloves and a wool cap is always nice to have on you, it are the first things I usually pack. The gloves for protection in the quest for wood and the wool cap adds a lot of warmth when needed.

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I agree on the gloves. Most people don't have the leathery hands of our ancestors. Apart from collecting firewood a thick pair of leather gloves are darn handy for retrieving and pouring from your billy and or handling anything cast iron near your fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Mistakes are the greatest teacher. Learn, from small incursion (remember baby steps) evaluate results. Add or subtract as your comfort/experience progresses.
Most importantly enjoy :You_Rock_

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
2 x 500ml bottles of water is not going to be enough. I would carry twice that per day (there is a reason I got myself a water filter).

I did a trip earlier this year, I took 2.25L of water. I found myself rationing it, and by the time I got home I had clinical signs of dehydration. NEVER underestimate how much water you need. Always carry the equipment to treat it, and always drink. If your pee looks any darker in colour than the palest of lagers, you need to drink more. If it passes the colour of fosters, you *REALLY* need to drink more.

Rule 1: Drink more water.

Julia

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Oh, and for the avoidance of doubt, rule 0 is don't be on fire...

Julia

"Cardio"
"Double tap"
"Ziploc bags"
"Beware of bathrooms"
"Seatbelts"
"Cast iron skillet"
"Travel light"
"Get a kickass partner"
"Bounty paper towels"
"Bowling Ball"
"Don't be a hero"; Columbus later changes the rule to "Be a hero" at the amusement park, after facing his greatest fear (a clown-zombie) to save Wichita and Little Rock.
"Limber up"
"Ziploc bags"
"Avoid strip clubs"
"When in doubt, know your way out"
"The buddy system"
"Check the back seat"
"Enjoy the little things"
"Swiss army knife"
"Clean socks"
"Hygiene"
"Always have backup"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE