... avoid first time mistakes ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 15, 2014
Lancashre
Hi all,
I'm new to wild camping but I've done "normal" camping for years. With having kids we've gotten soft with big tents and electric hookups. The kids are older now so I can start getting back to basics. I've had a refresher in basic fire techniques and knots (bowline, siberian hitch & taut line hitch)

I've got myself a DD Frontline hammock and a 3m x 2.4M tarp. I'll be trying out my setup during one of my normal family camping trips to get used to things and then an overnight trip in the woods near home ... so I plan to take small steps. I've already scoped out the site and have picked out a spot.

My kit for my first overnight will be...
Hammock & tarp
sleeping bag
4 x 5m paracord
1 x 10m paracord
1 x 10m thick paracord for ridge line
tent pegs
knife and fire steel
cotton balls soaked in vaseline
billy can & cup
bottled water
food to cook (steak, sausages)
food that doesn't rely on a successful fire! (jerky, fruit, chocolate)
teabags
torch and head torch
mozzie rep.

Have I missed anything obvious?

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

How much water??? It's a kilo per litre plus the weight of the container, so you might try to go light ;) . A filter might be of use.

Soft toilet tissue and either a lighter or nappy sacks (because TP doesn't breakdown quickly in soil). Lots of things you can use in place of TP, but if nature knocks urgently at the door it's nice to not have to multi-task! ;)

Sep 15, 2014
Lancashre
GOOD CALL ON THE LOO ROLL !! I didn't think about the old ka-ka.

First aid kit is a good call, too.

Water will just be a couple of 500ml bottles. This will be my first trip and only 3 miles from home - I think I can tackle purifying water on future trips. Bite size steps.

The only sleeping mat I have is really bulky. I thought about taking it but I just won't have room in the pack I've got. I'll stuff in a picnic blanket instead.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
4 x 5m paracord
1 x 10m paracord

The only sleeping mat I have is really bulky. I thought about taking it but I just won't have room in the pack I've got. I'll stuff in a picnic blanket instead.

... avoid first time mistakes ??

you won't !!, everybody makes mistakes even experienced people believe it or not, it's part of the learning process.
ditch the thick paracord, cheap 2mm nylon/polyester cord is plenty strong enough to hold a tarp up and its far lighter, personally i would ditch all the paracord.
the picnic blankets i have seen are just as bulky as sleeping mats and much heavier, stick with the mat (if its closed cell you can cut it down to preferred size)
take a lighter and a sense of humour and enjoy :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
A picnic blanket and no underlayer? You'll be cold. For me, that's worse than hungry.

Bear in mind in a hammock you're exposed on all sides to draughts. You need an underlayer (partially inflated mat, or closed cell).

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Bear in mind in a hammock you're exposed on all sides to draughts. You need an underlayer (partially inflated mat, or closed cell).
Definitely.

I used some laminate flooring underlay - it is a 3mm thick closed cell foam and very flexible. Slipped inbetween two layers of the hammock, it worked ok (but only ok).

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I'd go underblanket on the hammock, but on options like McCharly's you have the option to switch to ground if it gets too windy.

One (or two) of those silver things from poundland for your car window in summertime are like a silver survival blanket are easier to use put away and re-use (and £14 cheaper than the thick orange ones). Those would be used in addition to other things.

A bil-bank bag if you have a water source there.

Oh....and spare batteries.

Sep 15, 2014
Lancashre
MOZZIE REP
we went for a walk in the woods yesterday afternoon to practice setting up. I didn't take my mozzie rep and my shins now look like pizza. For some reason insects love me more than most people. I've known this for years and it was stupid to forget the repellent. I'm paying the price now.

On the plus side, the hammock went up easy. The tarp wasn't as straightforward but I learned quite a bit.

Thanks for all the advice. It's pretty clear that taking that sleep mat is highly recommended so I will.

The wipes and hand sanitizer sound good, too.

And I'm loving R-Tron's suggestions.... I've never actually watched any Ray Mears!

Sep 15, 2014
Lancashre
hammock.jpg.html

Following advice, I took a sleeping mat and one of those foil windscreen protectors, so I was toasty warm overnight. Also loo roll and a first aid kit.
I didn't manage to make a fire. The very thinnest twigs (1mm or so) burned fine but nothing larger would take - maybe too wet. So that's a trangia on my shopping list!

Lessons learned ...
1) Matches don't stay dry just because they're in your hammock.
2) I need much shorter rope for the prusik knots that tighten my tarp on the ridgeline.
3) I'd like some whoopie slings
4) hammocks are way comfier than mats on the ground.

Edit - the picture isn't working - here's a link if you're interested
http://s203.photobucket.com/user/Geoffers_photo/media/hammock.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
Hi all,
I'm new to wild camping but I've done "normal" camping for years. With having kids we've gotten soft with big tents and electric hookups. The kids are older now so I can start getting back to basics. I've had a refresher in basic fire techniques and knots (bowline, siberian hitch & taut line hitch)

I've got myself a DD Frontline hammock and a 3m x 2.4M tarp. I'll be trying out my setup during one of my normal family camping trips to get used to things and then an overnight trip in the woods near home ... so I plan to take small steps. I've already scoped out the site and have picked out a spot.

My kit for my first overnight will be...
Hammock & tarp
sleeping bag
4 x 5m paracord
1 x 10m paracord
tent pegs
knife and fire steel
cotton balls soaked in vaseline
billy can & cup
bottled water
food to cook (steak, sausages)
food that doesn't rely on a successful fire! (jerky, fruit, chocolate)
teabags
torch and head torch
mozzie rep.

First Aid Kit, Space Blanket, Spare Batteries, Warm Clothing and Waterproofs!!! Just remember what you pack you have to carry! :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE