Autumn woodland walk with the family.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Great looking day!

Those stacked logs can be a bit dodgy though mate. A mate of mine broke his leg when one shifted on him

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
How old is your boy? Mine has just started walking (13 months) and once he is steadier on his feet i cant wait to get him out to the woods :)
Looks like a great day oot.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Thanks very much chaps. I know what you mean pignut, for that very purpose I treaded very carefully and tested them all out before my lad came. The whole pile was very settled, not one limb moved.

Dwardo, my lad is 17months now. The little bruiser was walking about after just 7 months but as you know it can be a bit hard going for walks before they get bored or whingey. But this time we managed to walk a bit further then usual before he 'complained'. lol I can't wait to be able to take him wild camping with me.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Lovely pictures Kingpin. I love nothing more than taking my kids to the woods. I've got them tracking, foraging, carving and firelighting now.

You've got some great adventures ahead of you.

Cheers
Sean

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Dwardo, my lad is 17months now. The little bruiser was walking about after just 7 months but as you know it can be a bit hard going for walks before they get bored or whingey. But this time we managed to walk a bit further then usual before he 'complained'. lol I can't wait to be able to take him wild camping with me.

A small bag of something nice in your pocket & rationed out can work wonders on their enthusiasm (and yours!).

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Its hard when they are just toddling about a bit, we ditched the all terrain push chair and used the rucksack for Sam when he got to that stage. We found geocaching really keeps his interest up, especially when the caches are spaced out between 300 and 500m apart. We did a great series (Gait Barrows) when he was 22 months old and he walked the whole 6km with no whinging or carrying.

Finding decent footwear was a struggle though, we tended to stick him in Hunter Neo wellies but he wears them out after 6months! He's now in Berghaus boots for long walks and has a pair of Meindl Magic's (half price from Tamarack) ready to grow into. Not cheap but worth it.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Its hard when they are just toddling about a bit, we ditched the all terrain push chair and used the rucksack for Sam when he got to that stage. We found geocaching really keeps his interest up, especially when the caches are spaced out between 300 and 500m apart. We did a great series (Gait Barrows) when he was 22 months old and he walked the whole 6km with no whinging or carrying.

Finding decent footwear was a struggle though, we tended to stick him in Hunter Neo wellies but he wears them out after 6months! He's now in Berghaus boots for long walks and has a pair of Meindl Magic's (half price from Tamarack) ready to grow into. Not cheap but worth it.

You just popped him in your rucksack? as in your normal one? I tried the baby carriers but they were useless and generaly too small for my little lad, not to mention uncomfortable.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
No, though he could fit in my big one! We bought a Vango papoose thing (like a frame rucksack) off a friend who had put her son in it and he cried and never tried again! Great news for us. Sam's cousin who is nearly 1 is using it now and loves it.

We got Sam used to a sling (tomy safari) as soon as he could fit in one, I used to wear a massive flektarn goretex waterproof coat that I could zip up around him. We'd wrap him up in a down baby grow and he'd be as snug as a bug while we were out doing the dogs etc.

As soon as he could walk any distance we gave up with the carrier and just made him walk - we obviously tailored our walks to suit him though and had to shoulder him occasionally. Now (not yet 3 and a half) he can go a long way on the flat or around 6 km on steep hills. We did Clougha Pike recently and he loved it.

Yorkshire

Nov 2, 2010
Newcastle
Great stuff. went out with my nephew the other day and he loved spotting squirrels and we even saw loads of deer. Although they were not really wild. They were in Methley deer park ha ha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE