Autumn in the Dart Valley

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
Just a few photos from a walk I did this morning along the River Dart from Newbridge towards Watersmeet. The Newbridge carpark was packed full (literally, I had to drive further up the road to find a place to park) but once I got into the woods I only saw a couple of people and a handful of kayakers.

bcukforum-1.jpg

bcukforum-2.jpg

bcukforum-3.jpg

Fantastic autumn colours, all lit up by the sun just finding its way down into the gorge at 10:30am.

bcukforum-4.jpg

An amazing variety of life just on one small granite boulder by the path.

bcukforum-5.jpg

Bracket fungi (species unknown) growing on a dead standing birch tree.

bcukforum-6.jpg

Most of the path is fairly level and easy but in a few places you have to clamber over rocky outcrops along the river. With everything covered in slippery leaves you really need to watch your footing...

bcukforum-10.jpg

I only had a couple of hours, so there wasn't time to walk all the way to Watersmeet. While looking for a spot to have some lunch before turning around I spotted this intriguing looking flight of steps down to a huge ledge above the water...

bcukforum-9.jpg

bcukforum-8.jpg

bcukforum-7.jpg

Which was a perfect place for lunch beside the river.

bcukforum-11.jpg

bcukforum-12.jpg

Heading back to Newbridge...

bcukforum-13.jpg

Under the trees it was cold, although most of the frost had melted by late morning. Out on the open moor though the sun was impressively warm for late November. Hope people enjoyed the photos!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE