Automatic sewing awls?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
I saw these the first time I went into the local leather store but decided to go with saddle stitch instead as it seemed so much more secure. I was thinking of getting one to do the light work like fixing linings in place but have no idea what they are like or how to use them. These are the sort I mean:
1216-00-L.jpg

So, anyone able to fill me in on what they are like and their ease of use? Cheers :)

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I use one of those awl the time (sorry couldn't resist).

They are very easy to use. I use mine mainly for maintaining packs. I have a cheap nylon pack that I bought in Paraguay years ago that I have replaced almost awl the stitching on (sorry).

To start you pull out a foot or so of string through the eye of the needle, push through the material and then pull the free end up through the material so it just hangs loose on the other side. Pull back slightly on the awl, the string running inside the tracked needle will back up creating a small loop of string alongside the needle, pass the free end through the loop, and pull the awl back through the material. Move over and repeat for the next stitch. They are not hard to learn. Just keep plenty of line on the spindle and pull out plenty to work with on the other side.

I use #4 waxed polyester line in mine and it works great. All of my packs are held together with this stuff. Mac

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I use a similar one for repairs (it has the spool in the other end of the handle).

I could not find one in the UK, most shop assistants don't even know the wood 'awl'. I ended up carrying a photo and the word written down as I got sick of spelling it over and over.

I eventually bought mine in the US where they are common.

Perhaps an intrepid soul will do a group buy or carry them in their online shop.

Drongo

Aug 19, 2008
Lisburn
I saw one on ebay also for about £6.00 or so...

£2.00 postage to the UK...

Then I noticed the small print, the seller didn't include Northern Ireland as part of the UK and was going to charge me £12.00 postage...!!!

Ruddy Riles me that....

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
I saw these the first time I went into the local leather store but decided to go with saddle stitch instead as it seemed so much more secure. I was thinking of getting one to do the light work like fixing linings in place but have no idea what they are like or how to use them. These are the sort I mean:
1216-00-L.jpg

So, anyone able to fill me in on what they are like and their ease of use? Cheers :)

google le prevo they have them in stock

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have got a similar one, with the spool within the handle. I bought it from a boat chandler. I didn't find it any better or quicker, on leather at least, than using 2 needles and saddle stitch. Maybe its just me who find them cumbersome to use!

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
To start you pull out a foot or so of string through the eye of the needle, push through the material and then pull the free end up through the material so it just hangs loose on the other side. Pull back slightly on the awl, the string running inside the tracked needle will back up creating a small loop of string alongside the needle, pass the free end through the loop, and pull the awl back through the material. Move over and repeat for the next stitch. They are not hard to learn. Just keep plenty of line on the spindle and pull out plenty to work with on the other side.

Mac
Would it be easier to thread the loose end through if you had it threaded on a harness needle?

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Would it be easier to thread the loose end through if you had it threaded on a harness needle?

It has never been a problem as the loop created is quite large and easy to thread.

I have used the two needle technique as well and prefer it for sewing thick leather. The awl works great for sewing up heavy fabric like canvass or nylon and for lighter leather. Mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE