automatic sewing awl question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Basically does anyone have one / used one of these?

sawl.jpg

I keep seeing them but can't get my head round how they work! can anyone tell me how they are used and whether they are any good? ...

H

Heathenpeddler

When I was first looking at working leather I was advised against these as the stitches are not as secure as you'll get with a proper saddle stitch. They should be faster though, but like you I'm afraid I haven't a clue on how you'd use it :) For lightweight use these days I just use my sewing machine instead :)

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
That works in the same way (almost) as a sewing machine.

Load the bobbin with thread and thread it through the needle. On the first hole of the stitch, insert the needle into the hole and exit the other side. Pull the lose end of the thread all the way to the other side. Pull the needle out of the hole. Now you have automatic awl on one side and the end of the thread on the other. Pull the thread to suit the length of the stitch.

Now on the second and subsequent stitch hole, you push the awl into the hole almost to the end, and pull back until you get a loop in the thread. Then you thread the lose end of the thread into this loop. pull the awl out and tighten the stitch.

hope that is clear. Never try it myself thought :D

singteck

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
ahhhh - I see........ I was thinking along those lines, but was visualising a seperate thread for the 2nd side but your explanation makes perfect sence! thanks.

It was more a case of curiosity than a hankering after purchasing one, so like you say I will be staying with good ol needles :)

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
The most important piece of equipment you must get for leather work is a saddlers clams. They are expensive but they really improves your work like nothing else. Well at least it will keep the language clean :p

I couldn't afford one, so I made my own.

singteck

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
methinks I detect another 'top tip' :D - guess what i'll be making ;)

Up to now all my work has been hand held and this sounds like it could be the answer to the problem where I have one hand too few!:lmao:

I guess it is just a 3rd hand to hold the work steady rather than to hold peices in position?

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
To use as a third hand first and foremost but also use it to hold things together. All depends on the project at hand. I use it as a clamp to hold the pieces of leather together for the glue to set sometimes.

What's the next project???? :D

singteck

leon-1

Graham, I have one of the auto awls and I can honestly say they are bloody awfull, the thread is poor quality and I managed to snap one of the needles (impaling my hand on the piece that had snapped off). Since then I have stitched by hand and I will not be going back to one of those things ever.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
leon-1 said:
Graham, I have one of the auto awls and I can honestly say they are bloody awfull...

Ditto. Oh, and the thread drags horrendously on the needles.

Guess I just scuppered any chance of selling mine! :D

The Wild Rose stitching pony is a hinged beasty; very effective, but I've come to prefer a traditional clam now. Just as well, really - I've got 3 of them now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE