Automatic fishing line

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
. Any tips on the most productive way to use it? Jug fishing or staked by the margins?

i have seen them used in USA where they are tied to a strong branch hanging over the water, you can extend the cord by attaching fishing line to it if needed, they are then baited and set with the hook in the water at what ever level you require, the fish gets the bait and pulls the line, this releases the spring holding mechanism which then in turn allows the coil spring to "wind in" the fish, they will very easily lift the fish from the water, so allow for this and where possible check them every 2-3 hours, or they will dry out and start to turn rancid in the sun etc etc...

as a survival tool they look a very good investment and would be most useful....

hope this helps.

chris.

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
Thanks lannieman. I won't go far as it would probably get pinched if I leave it so no worry about fish going rancid, hopeing for a Talapia, snakehead or catty that will be heavier than the spring can lift.
I will give the yoyo to someone before I go home, whilst I will be playing with it I'm sure to meet someone who can make better use of it rather than it sitting in my cupboard back home.

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
I'm going to Thailand soon, I think they're pretty relaxed about fishing over there so might be able to try fishing with my yoyo reel. looking forward to useing it as i cant here. Any tips on the most productive way to use it? Jug fishing or staked by the margins?
your best bet is to attach it to a long bit of bamboo and suspend that out over the water, find a bit of river that's out of the currant,
somewhere fish will hold up to rest or wait for passing grub to go by, bit of bread past on the hook, bait area up with few handfuls
of watery mashed up bread, used to catch a lot of Tilapia like this, they have escaped from the fish farms and are everywhere
out there now, very good eating too, fish small, no14 barbed hook.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
They are a aid to survival and in a true survival situation anything goes, I had a real life review carried out on another forum and they worked fairly well although they did'nt catch enough for a good meal but it was effortless fishing which allows you to do other things around your camp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE