Austrian rucksack alice pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
I'm preparing for another kit splurge at Military Mart and have seen this pack.

AUSTRIAN RUCKSACK ALICE PACK
austrian%20rucksack.jpg

£12.99

I'm in the market for a new day/overnight pack and this looks interesting.

As the product info is a little scarce - Austrian, similar to an ALICE pack, large - I was wondering if any of you good people have one of these packs and if you do, would be so kind as to let me know:

If it has a frame?
If it is remotely waterproof?
How large, large may be?
And, if it is any good?

Many Thanks,

Colin

kato

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2006
NW England
Hello mate
I recently picked up one of these from ebay ;) not had a chance to use it yet but I've given it a good look over...
It doesn't have a frame.
It might be a little waterproof but a dry bag will soon sort that, I think a dry bag is needed with most rucksacks to be honest.
The main chamber is at least 40 liters and with the large snow collar deployed I reckon about 60 litres, the pockets are quite big as well adding maybe another 10 litres.
Even though I've not had a chance to use it yet I like it a lot, its very well made and seems very tough, even though it doesn't have a frame or back padding it does have a large internal pocket inside and from what I could find out about it online the folding German army kip mat fits the pocket perfect giving good back support ;)
For the money its well worth a go :)
Hope this helps Colin from another Colin :D

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
Thanks Colin,

That is a great help. I was hoping it was frameless as I hate them.

I have heard it can be a bit of an awkward carry, which could be a bit of a problem, but for the price I think I am going to take a punt and pimp it if need be.

Cheers,

Colin

kato

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2006
NW England
No worries mate...I think for overnight/weekend pack it will be sound as long as its packed right.
I'm thinking of having mine pimped as well...seen a Vulcan LuckyLee the leather worker pimped with some leather edging around some of the edges and it looks really nice.
Once I have the money I think I'm going to ask him to trim all the edges on this rucksack as I think it will look really cool and kind of old school because of the design and shape of the pack ;)

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
The bag turned up yesterday. I've been working long, intense, anti social hours for the last couple of days and I have another day of FUN to look forward to tomorrow. So my brain is pretty much mush and I haven't had more than a cursory glance at it so far.

It does look grand. Deep and wide bodied, which was what I was after and the pockets on it are a fair size. All good.

The one thing I am not mentally equipped to deal with, is working out how to attach the yoke. I am sure with a good nights kip and a clear head, come Monday morning, the way forward will become blindingly obvious, but I really can't make head nor tail of it at the moment.

If you have any attachment advice, to help unconfuse my poor addled brain, I would be most grateful.

Cheers,

Colin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE