Austrian Army Waterproof Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daffy

Sep 2, 2015
I am from the earth
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in the above garment but have noticed there seem to be 3 different versions?

Lined,
Unlined,
Next Generation.

Can anyone shed some light on these?

I would prefer a detachable gore text liner if possible I think.

Would love to her some feedback.

Thanks,

Daffy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Daffy,
I am only aware of two breathable material Austrian Army jackets (out-ers not inn-ers) - the '97 pattern and the KA03 pattern - (there may be more).
The '97 is a lovely browney-olive; it is cut in a sort of 'casual' style with two lower slash pockets; the outer material is nice and soft and fairly rustle free; it does have a non remove-able nylon liner; it has two very small epaulettes on the shoulder and a non-volume adjustable hood; it has an internal snow valance and a waterproof protective strip along the inside of the bottom hem. It was issued to the alpine troops.
The KA03 is a stoney-olive (the Austrians call it stein-grau - stone grey), it is cut in a similar style to the '97 but has no epaulettes; it is unlined and the material is of a slightly stiffer construction; it has a volume adjustable hood. This jacket is still (general) issue and can be bought surplus and/or brand new.
I have used both for several years and whilst the '97 is slightly more comfortable (and casual as it 'hangs' better than the '03 if fashion is an issue to you lol) the '03 material is less prone to scags and scuffs from such things as hawthorn, gorse, bramble and the chaffing points from rucksack backs, shoulder and waist belts etc. (I've also used the matching over-trousers and the finer fibres of the material really 'pull' easily). The '03 has suffered almost no scagging and only minor rucksack damage after regular prolonged use.
After appropriate cleaning and reproofing neither jacket has let me down in the heaviest of downpours but I did feel slightly 'clammy-er' in the '97 with its liner. (it is also slightly more difficult to wash due to the fixed lining).
The '03 by comparison has always felt 'bomb proof'.
In both cases I am very careful not to get the jackets anywhere near naked flames or sparks.
If you do want synthetic material, on balance if faced with a choice I would opt for the '03.:)
Hope this is of use to you.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Are these the M65 style or the mountain troop goretex jackets? (I have both and they are brilliant!)

daffy

Sep 2, 2015
I am from the earth
Thanks for getting back to me so soon!:You_Rock_

I think I may have rolled them all into one in my head. Been searching for a decent jacket for ages and going to fill the gap with a cheap but reliable WP until I find mr right lol

I have my heart set on a Hilltrek Double V Braemar Windshirt but it would be my first ventile and its a lot of dough!

Jaeger

Thanks very much for taking the time to post a very detailed reply!

swotty

Its the mountain troop jackets Im interested in.

thanks again

daffy

Sep 2, 2015
I am from the earth
I notice surplus and outdoors sell the mountain troop jacket for £45 but also another version called next generation (outback), which appears to be the same, for £59.99.

Anyone know the differences?

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Daffy,
I'm not sure about this but S&O might be referring to the KA03 version as being the 'next generation' (to the '97).
I had both my jackets from them and I don't recall them bringing my attention to a further Austrian surplus breathable waterproof.
They are one of the most helpful retailers that I deal with and if you give them a call and ask to speak to Steve I'm sure that they will be able to clarify.
Re the Ventile, I've got several (first purchased one for ML back in the 80's!). Superb piece of kit and I grew out of it before it wore out and I gave it some serious use.
Main drawback is that it is really expensive, comes in limited colours, and has to become wet! to work properly (so double V required) it becomes stiff when wet and it freezes board stiff if you are not careful during use in wet, sub zero conditions - i.e. Scottish winter snow and ice! Would I buy it? Refer to line 5 lol.
Oh yes and if it's been dwr'd you might struggle to dye it another colour - anyone out there got a PROVEN method?
I'm out and about on average two-three times a week and when it is particularly wet in the brown season my Austrian BH jacket gets most use simply because I struggle to dry the Ventile between outings.:)

daffy

Sep 2, 2015
I am from the earth
Ah right, that makes sense!

Thanks for the heads up Re Steve. Im drawing up a spreadsheet just now, as I've returned to find my kit in a sorry state Ive decided to use it as an excuse to give my kit a complete overhaul, so will be dong a big order soon.

Sorry what was line 5? lol

I'm yet to be totally convinced by ventile but its fire resistance and breathability are certainly attractive features.The one I mentioned comes in a nice OG so no problems there.

Im trying to reduce doubling up items if possible. (at least just now anyway) So I'm really after complete protection to the same limitations as gore-tex etc. I know theres no perfect jacket but Id like as close as possible.

cheers!

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Swotty,
I misread your post in the thread - there IS a THIRD Austrian surplus army jacket in breathable material (Goretex) - it is an M65 style, would you believe that I even have one but discounted it from the equation as I only use it as a casual jacket as it's appearance is a bit too full-on military for my activities (great jacket otherwise though). I will PM Daffy to update him. Well done for raising it pal.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Aye Up Swotty,
I misread your post in the thread - there IS a THIRD Austrian surplus army jacket in breathable material (Goretex) - it is an M65 style, would you believe that I even have one but discounted it from the equation as I only use it as a casual jacket as it's appearance is a bit too full-on military for my activities (great jacket otherwise though). I will PM Daffy to update him. Well done for raising it pal.

Yep, mines more for casual wear too...a nice jacket :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE