Aurora - Northern Lights

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted dude 7861

Always wanted to see them up here but weather had hampered previous attempts. We had one of the highest alerts of the year and I was lucky enough to spend 4 hours watching the most amazing display I have ever seen. The whole sky was like a river of pulsating light complete with curtains and rays. Here's a few pics I took (sadly forgot to take off UV filter!)

aurora2.jpg

aurora4.jpg

aurora3.jpg

This is one that somebody took 5 miles from me without a UV filter:
aurora6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Very envious! Love the last photo - I dream of seeing these sometime soon...
Do you get the aurora watch alerts?

I noticed the red alerts a few days ago, but nothing here in the Lakes yet (Unless they were obscured by the cloud...)

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
How reflective are the pictures of what you perceived with your eye? Did it seem that bright, or is that the result of a long exposure?

Either way they are beautiful pictures.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
If it's anything like the lights I have seen they are not as prominent but certainly visible to a dark adapted eye.

Northern_lights_Norway_5-3-2012.jpg

These were clearly visible for example because I had been in just moonlight for a couple of hours.

Northern-Lights-over-Shelter.jpg

These were less clear because we had been in the shelter in front of a fire until shortly before.

A longer exposure certainly brings them out better in a picture although some of the movement is lost.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE