Auro Borealis Calling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 1, 2006
south east
Morning Folks.

My good Wife and I are planning a trip to Nordkapp on 5[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2016. In search of Northern lights and Arctic adventure.
We are driving from England, ferry across to France then road all the way to Norway then back through Sweden. We will be allowing 2 weeks to cover the 5,000 mile trip. The trusty Trol (Nissan Patrol) is taking us with the Bison Tipi with wood burner as our nightly accommodation.
I have 1 or 2 issues that you guys might be able to help with.
The 1[SUP]st[/SUP]is Snow chains, I have 285/70/17 Goodrich A/T tyres and can't find any second-hand chains to fit. They need to be 102” long.

The 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]is more camping advice. With the ground being solid how do you get the tent pegs in? Is it with a FBH or do you use screw in tent pegs?Also I wont know if I'm making camp in a clearing or on a lake, with regards to the wood burner it gets pretty toasty with it going all night is there a chance it could melt the ice and we end up breaking through while in our sleeping bags?
The coldest I've used the tipi in is -5 but there was no snow so finding fire wood was easy.
Any help or advice gratefully received.
If any one wants a cold beer, a long drive and got a capable vehicle, your welcome to come along.

Cheers Paul.

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Remember wintertires are a MUST in Sweden. Both by law as most likely by circumstances. I can really recommend studded tires, even on a 4x4 or maybe especially on one. Don't even know if snowchains are allowed on Swedish roads, actually. Maybe you might consider getting those studded tires (dubbdäck) when you enter Norway, because these are not allowed in mainland Europe.
Ice is not likely to melt over night. That does take a few weeks, but make sure you know the conditions of the ice before you head out on it. Tractors are not required to have an escapehatch in the roof for nothing around here.
If you are out on the ice "isdubbar" or icepicks are mandatory too. Y'know the ones you hang around your neck. Best stay on the road or hard ground if you are not familiar with any of these kind of circumstances.

If the ground is frozen, forget groundpegs. And absolute no go. Try snowanchors instead.

And as a nice bonus; the weather can and probably will vary greatly, depending on your position in Scandinavia. Winter is not the same in the south of Norway, the mountains up north or the inlands of Sweden. Weather may change abruptly. Going from -25C to plus 5C overnight is not uncommon around our parts for instance.

5000 miles in winterconditions in 2 weeks? That might turn out pretty optimistic if you are not used to winterconditions and in the complete absence of motorways up here. 80 km/h is the max and you will find yourself hard pushed to make that at times.

Feb 1, 2006
south east
Cheers RonW.
The tyres I got have the 3peaks of the snow symbol on them and S&M which I was told when I bought them would be legal throughout Europe and Scandinavia. I was on the look out for studded tyres and wheels but not enough room on the roof of the Trol (top box and 90l of fuel) thats why I want the chains just in case we start to lose traction.
I will look up snow anchors I think I need 11 but I will check.
With regards to distance we will just hit the road and go as far as we can for a week then turn round and go back a different way. We just want to go as far North as WE can and hopefully see the lights.
Cheers Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE