Augers...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Since spring is on its way (apparently it is here, but the snow this morning would suggest otherwise), I thought I should get some augers ready for the tapping season :) While I was at it, I made some other sizes to restock for woodworkers.

Just a small pile! Ranging in diameter from 1/2" to 1 1/4" and this year I've decided to paint the ring ends to make them a bit prettier (it also sows up better in the wood chips and leaf litter!)

IMG_4200.jpg

screw augers.jpg 1 inch screw.jpg These are both 1" diameter, the longer drills a hole over 400mm!

I'll be back in the workshop tomorrow making some entirely different augers, but more on that when I get them done :naughty:

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
Bottom left photo, far right auger, is that for sale? I would be interested in buying that one as it looks a great blend of thickness and length.
Shall I PM?
All the best.
Russ

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
haha. I know the feeling. I just automatically click 'new posts' when I log in, I don't think I've ever gone to a specific section in my life! :D

These augers are something that I make and keep in stock, so most likely I have what you are looking for. What size are you after?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i have 1" augers that are either pocket sized (so drill a couple of inches) or a monster long one at 400mm. I can make one up to your size, but it'll not be this side of new year as I have to order the bits in ;)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
what is made cannot be unmade ;) I can get one it of an appropriate length and make it up though, it'll be a couple of quid more than the stubby 1" augers that I sell. I will double check in the workshop and see if I have one knocking about

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Hello! Glad I found this thread (to resurrect), was looking at the website looking for a way to actually buy one of these augers. Is this the place to do it? Inch wide and I thought I wanted about 4" long for a bit of messing about trying to make a stool or two. Inch and a quarter might make more sense though. At these prices a little one for birch tapping might be good too...
Am I in the right place or should I PM?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
hi,

the lack of 'buy it now' on my website is partly down to my lack of love for technology, but also the fact that I often don't have things in stock and depending on how busy I am may not do for days/months/ever ;)

If you are going to be making stools and thing, then I would suggest the 32mm rather than 1" (unless it's a low stool). I think I've got them all in stock, but I'm away to TORM this weekend and won't be thinking about anything else until the middle of next week, sorry.

Drop me a pm with a shopping list and when I get back I'll dig them out and see how much postage will be :)

cheers!

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
hi,

the lack of 'buy it now' on my website is partly down to my lack of love for technology, but also the fact that I often don't have things in stock and depending on how busy I am may not do for days/months/ever ;)

If you are going to be making stools and thing, then I would suggest the 32mm rather than 1" (unless it's a low stool). I think I've got them all in stock, but I'm away to TORM this weekend and won't be thinking about anything else until the middle of next week, sorry.

Drop me a pm with a shopping list and when I get back I'll dig them out and see how much postage will be :)

cheers!
Thank you Dave, I'll PM a list. Some of the messing about will be with my primary school class. I may simply be forced to get more than just a couple the more I think about it. Thanks for getting back in touch.
Chris.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Hi,

I've been thinking about an auger for ages so am really pleased this has been ressurrected.

The only reason I want one is to make small rocket stoves out of lengths of approx 5inch diameter branchs.
I would want to drill two holes one through the branch and then one down the centre so that they meet.
I'd then make a little fire where they meet and let it burn from the inside out like a small rocket stove.

However I've heard that drilling out the centre of a branch is hard to do with an auger.

Would you please be able to advise and point me towards a solution?
I was thinking 1inch by about 8-12 inchs would be what's needed but not sure.

Many thanks in advance
Ken

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Back from TORM and going through messages now :)

PMs inbound chaps!

Regarding drilling into the end grain, yes it is more difficult. The lead screw cuts the fibres and so the auger spins on the spot instead of being drawn into the woods. To get around this you have to keep applying pressure to the auger and it is normally OK. The only other option is to buy one of my spoon augers that are designed to drill into end grain. They also require pressure to be maintained, but allow you to open the hole up beyond the diameter of the auger, which is handy if you are making shrink pots. They are also ideal if doing living history demos ;)

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Hi Dave,
People on here were kind enough to point me in your direction
I'm looking for a scotch eyed auger around 1" to 1 1/4". Don't really want a long one. Anything up to 9" will do?
Thanks in advance

Reactions: crosslandkelly

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi Dave,
People on here were kind enough to point me in your direction
I'm looking for a scotch eyed auger around 1" to 1 1/4". Don't really want a long one. Anything up to 9" will do?
Thanks in advance
Hi Sundowner, it's probably best to pm Dave direct, just click on his icon then start a coversation.
ATB.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
hello there! :) I've got them in a few sizes these days, mostly in 150mm lengths (that's the drilling depth, so add a bit for the eye). I'll have a did around and see what I have, but I mostly stock 12mm, 16mm (sometimes), 20mm (or 19mm), 25mm and 32mm diameters

I'll drop you a pm ;)

Reactions: chas brookes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE