Attaching paracord to tarp eyelet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
When setting up tarp, what knots do you use to attach the paracord to the tarp eyelets?

I use the slippery knot for attaching to pegs/saplings ala Rays book but was wondering if the same knot can be used to fasten to the tarp eyelet, so both ends can be adjusted??

ta

Podcast Bob

I use a slippery clove hitch (Page 156) which is perfect. Simple, holds tight and releases easily.

Just replace the solid pole in the drawing with your cord, run it through the eyelit, then tie the slippery clove hitch around the cord and slide it up to the tarp.

I wouldn't suggest using a adjustable loop at both ends as it will work slightly loose and once the cord isn't under tension, the knot will fail.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
My tarp has loops, so I use the sheet bend (I believe it's called) to fix that end, I find it doesn't stress the loop material at all, so no fraying. I'll try and find a link to it if you need it but... I'm guessing from your question that your tarp doesn't have loops but has eyes instead. In that case you could try the double adjustable as cobweb suggests.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
the amount of knots you could use is endless. a reely good adjustable knot (friction hitch) to fit onto the eyes of your tarp is the blakes hitch. its used by tree surgeons to hold their life so i can garentee that it won't slip! lol
heres how its tied http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake's_hitch
as its only holding your tarp i wouldnt bother useing a stopper knot as it doesnt come loose easily

personaly i dont have an adjustable knot on the edge of my tarp, i just use an overhand loop.

hope this helps!

pete

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I use a loop passed through the eyelet with the loose end then passed through the loop if I want to remove/fit the line regularly. I use a tensioning knot at the peg end.
Alan

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use a loop passed through the eyelet with the loose end then passed through the loop if I want to remove/fit the line regularly. I use a tensioning knot at the peg end.
Alan

What he said :D

I always take my guys off when I`m breaking camp and this method just makes life easier.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I use a slippery clove hitch (Page 156) which is perfect. Simple, holds tight and releases easily.

Just replace the solid pole in the drawing with your cord, run it through the eyelit, then tie the slippery clove hitch around the cord and slide it up to the tarp.

I wouldn't suggest using a adjustable loop at both ends as it will work slightly loose and once the cord isn't under tension, the knot will fail.

Bob demonstrated his tarp / knots system at last year's Wilderness Gathering, and it's the system I've been using ever since - simple & effective. His lightweight tarps are great too! (No connection, other than as a satisfied customer!)

DHD

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
As my guys are permanently attached, I use a bowline on the tarp end.
Attachment to ground or branch is by a slippery guy hitch.
When striking camp, I hank the cords in such a way as there are never any tangles and the cords deploy immediately for use (figure of eight hank) - even to the point of remaining semi-bundled if the anchor point is close-by, the remaining cord gets stowed between the two lengths of guy cord down fron the hitch.

I can work on a picture tutorial if anyone is interested.

ATB

Ogri the trog

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
As my guys are permanently attached, I use a bowline on the tarp end.
Attachment to ground or branch is by a slippery guy hitch.
When striking camp, I hank the cords in such a way as there are never any tangles and the cords deploy immediately for use (figure of eight hank) - even to the point of remaining semi-bundled if the anchor point is close-by, the remaining cord gets stowed between the two lengths of guy cord down fron the hitch.

I can work on a picture tutorial if anyone is interested.

ATB

Ogri the trog

sounds very similar to my way or working Og but I never say no to the offer of a picture tutorial! ;):D

Canalvoyageur

Aug 4, 2008
Staffordshire
Hi, I'm sure that I will be accused of trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, but here goes, I personally use a piece of car inner tube attached to the tarp then attach para cord to that, as it serves twofold one to keep the tarp under constant tension and can save damage to tarp should the wind really get up as something has to give.
hope that explanation is satisfactory.
Regards Bill

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
OK guys,
I'll get something sorted out over the next few days, though it is broadly similar to the one linked over on Britishblades.
You should be used to the Evenk hitch by now, but for the second ridge knot I now use a "Power Cinch" thanks to Cobweb.
The rest is just variations, but they work well for me.

Back in a day or so.....

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE