Attaching a trophy to the wooden bit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, I got my bone bit nice and clean.

And Im shaping a nice bit of mahogany board for it.

How do I join the two together?

I found this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roe-Deer-...549233?hash=item1c5f46a3b1:g:7rwAAOxyM1VRYBbe

But how does it attach to the skull?

And all in all the weight is going to be significant...How best do I hang it?

(We wont go into the issue I have little places to hang things in my Tengu nesting box...)

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I'm guessing that you'd have to glue it in with epoxy? Ask the seller, I'm sure they will be helpful.
Never seen them before, as I said in your previous thread I've always used screws, the old fashioned way. I've never had a problem with weight and I've mounted a few hefty ones.
As I'm sure you're aware, just make sure everything is clean and degreese before glueing.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive messaged the seller, -no reply.

Which is sad because if I had got a sensible answer I no doubt would be buying right away...

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Were your head that of a roe, crosslandkelly would be spot on but form memory the "bone bit" you refer to is from a larger deer and the scull has been cut short and thin? Without seeing the back of the scull it's difficult to know if that fixing or a larger version of the same latching principal will work.

Post a picture of scull back and I'll happily suggest a cheap and simple method of fixing to a shield.

K

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire

It has a hole drilled straight though the centre.

As I got it it was greasy and dirty, -and had been screwed direct to a beam, -a pretty bodge job, I aim to get it a bit more pro looking.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
you have a high cut head there Tengu
The metal piece in your wont work I don't think
with a head that has most of the upper skull including much of the nose there are cross bones inside that the metal fix behind and pull the head to the mounting board
Can work quite well although my Roe head seems to work loose occasionally - might be the half a dozen hats on it guess!
Might be best just to use the existing hole with a nut and bolt. you could paint the visible end with paint to help disguise it

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
attachment.php

This image might help

Attachments

• Skull mount.jpg
    Skull mount.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 87

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im going to use 4 big screws, 2 in the bottom holes and 2 on brass clamps at the top?

Now all I need is some brass and suitable brass screws

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
To save my self a lot of time and hassle I drill some small holes through the wood and use some 15lb mono fishing line to connect the skull to the trophy. Unless your staring from a foot away you can not see it.

fenrir

Dec 12, 2014
Austria
I (and basically everyone I know) drills small holes on the inside of the skull, little holes through the board, and then use wire to lash the skull towards the board.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE