AT vs MT tyres???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
So, I need to get a new set of tyres for my Sporty.
At the mo' it is a toss up between Bronco Roughriders vs Coleway MTs or the Bronco Goodrider vs Colway AT.

The question is, do I really need MTs for grip in the muddy stuff, or will ATs (copies of the BFG AT design) cope with clay/mud? On road use doesn't matter so no point discussing it.; I'm only interested in the off road/green lane aspects.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spacemonkey said:
So, I need to get a new set of tyres for my Sporty.
At the mo' it is a toss up between Bronco Roughriders vs Coleway MTs or the Bronco Goodrider vs Colway AT.

The question is, do I really need MTs for grip in the muddy stuff, or will ATs (copies of the BFG AT design) cope with clay/mud? On road use doesn't matter so no point discussing it.; I'm only interested in the off road/green lane aspects.
Spacemonkey,

I have ATs on my Landcruiser (real BFGs) and MTs on the Landrover. The MTs are far better on soft surfaces - a lot. They do massively increase your stopping distance onroad but that doesn't worry you so I would say go MT all the way. The other point is MTs are 10 ply and so will take far deeper gouges in sidewalls etc without puncturing

Red

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
One other ting worth mentioning is that coleway's are a remold ! I had a tread section work lose and flap around . I refited with BF goodridge tyres
Pumbaa

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
if the green lanes are stone based or have a lot of loose stone go for ATs. MTs will big in too much and increase tyre and surface damage. Is it is mostly mud go for ATs.

I use Colway ATs for laning around the Dales - a mixture of deepish mud and rock surface and never had a problem.

do not forget to re-check the status of any lane as NERC Act enacted sections of CROW Act last Tuesday. Many lanes have now lost vehicle access.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, MT's I've got the BFG AT's and I wish I'd got the MT's even though I do a lot of road miles. I've been in a few spots off road where the MT's would have been sooooo much better for me. The difference to soft ground traction is huge....MT's mate!

I was talking to a chap this week who's got ...Bearclaws?? on his landy and he was pulling discoveries out of mud when he was up to his sills, you'd never even think about that with AT's.

Just read the post above....totaly agree, I was just thinking of MUD MUD MUD! When you're in it and you're spinning on your AT's you wish you'd gone MT's!! :lmao: :lmao:

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Ok, seems like MTs it is. Yes, I know that Colway are remoulds, and so are Bronco, but for the money I'd get 2-3 tyres to one BFG, so I know where I'm shopping. I prefer Bronco as the name sounds better and reminds me of School Bog Roll...

Oh and modern EU rated remoulds are nothing like the rubbish we used to get, so not too worried there mate.

The lanes in Sunny Wiltshire are mainly BOATS so I'm one of the few lucky ones who isn't too badly effected. Bloody MPs, Ramblers, Street-Porters etc (and to think, I embalmed her dad years ago, and this is the gratitude I get!)

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
I've just put mt's on my disco thier not bad on road when you know thier limitations and give you so much more confidence off road, i'm checking on the all important mpg, they are a little more noisey but I can live with that.

Ian

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Completely irrelevant, but last year at the Billing show, I was taken for a spin around the off road course, on the saturday, in a Range Rover Sport, kitted out for photo shoots. it had the full monty - Mt's, winch, snorkel etc, and obviously it didn't come close to being stuck.
Next day, we took the disco s3 around, and did the whole course - on standard road tyres. So it is all relative really. I don't think there is a perfect tyre for wet clay and chalk...

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I've had Bronco Rough Riders on my 110 and I had Colway MTs on an old 88 that I had and they both as good as the other. The Colways do have holes in the tread so you can screw in studs for even more grip.
I'm running Bronco Grip Edge ATs on the 110 now, these are a lot better on the road and there is hardly any difference in the offroad performance compared to the Rough Riders.
A mate runs a Range Rover and he has some MTs he got from Scorpion Racing they look the business and he said he only paid £40 each.

marshall4771

Forager
Jan 5, 2004
Bingley,West Yorkshire
For what it's worth I did the extreme route at langdale quest using a set of General SAG's AT on my SII Lightweight. I had driven there so MT's were n't an option ( 200 mile round trip )

I therefore highly recommed the SAGs on and off road.

Shaun

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I run Kingpin 205 R16 MT's on my 88" Series 3.

I worked on the principle of more grip = less likely to get stuck = less time wheel spinning = less environemental damage = more time driving.

Just my 2p worth

Stewey. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE