At the Fungus Ear Cafe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Is not JELLY Ear a far better description or do the those who object to a little 21st Century sensibility have greater insight into why we should be a slave to correctness beyond it is taken from the Latin?

K

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Is not JELLY Ear a far better description or do the those who object to a little 21st Century sensibility have greater insight into why we should be a slave to correctness beyond it is taken from the Latin?

K
I don't think anyone on this thread has objected to a 'little 21st Centurt sensibility'. You have to remember that lots of us have used the traditional name since we first learnt to identify the fungus (which is a good few decades ago in some cases) so it's easy to slip into what you are familiar with.
Tony's reminder was therefore a timely one:)

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Although I agree it is sad to find ourselves in a world where a mushroom has to have a preferential name to avoid a charge of anti-Semitism we shouldn't lose sight of what Tony has oft' pointed out about this excellent site. Namely many educational establishments refer to the wealth of information to be be found here so I fully understand why the ‎PC version is preferred.‎

For those who are not aware the Latin name Auricularia auricula-judae confirms its adaption to that originally seen in the thread title being so named under the belief that Judas Iscariot hung himself on an elder tree, the principle host on which you will almost always find this fungi growing.‎‎ ‎

K‎

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA

K

I wondered what criss cross applesauce was until finding out that it means sitting indian style. Only my little nephew could deceiver that for me. Well in any case I am still sitting with my legs crossed. Hope you guys work out the name. All of that said it's a really funky looking fungus for sure.

Edit. Looks like fungus ear is it! Sounds descriptive enough to me. It's fungus shaped like an ear. :)

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
political correctness !! on a non political forum ?? :( :(

This is where your ability to jump to conclusions works faster than thinking about what you're saying, you have reacted in a way that twists how we manage the forum to your own perspective and you miss judge me completely in my motives and how I do things.

I personally don't care that you use the term Jews ear, I don't really care what you want to call things so that they confirm to your perspective of the world, but I do care about helping people understand and learn things and the fact of this matter is that the term Jews ear is getting used less and less in favour of Jelly ear and the like, I did not ask for the title to be changed, I did not tell anyone off or ban the name Jews Ear, I did not make people feel small or be condescending towards anyone and yet you still take offence...

am glad thats not pork your eating ???? are pictures of bacon allowed tony ?? how far do we have to go to `not` offend anyone ??

This is the bit that probably got you banned last night for Trolling, I've reversed that ban because you've asked a question, but you went too far with your sarcasm, publicly belittling and condescension that was misplaced, although if you still feel it's justified I'm sure you will carry on with another sarcastic quip.

The bottom line is that it's my forum, years ago Martyn pointed out to the members that this is just the same as a house that you're invited into, it's my house and my rules. That does not mean i'm adverse to questions but I am adverse to people being rude.

Ahh, Edited to add - I see that you created another thread so that you could wind people up and drip your sarcasm over the place, hence the week long ban, I obviously made a mistake and will reinstate the ban.

Last edited:

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
For those who are not aware the Latin name Auricularia auricula-judae confirms its adaption to that originally seen in the thread title being so named under the belief that Judas Iscariot hung himself on an elder tree, the principle host on which you will almost always find this fungi growing.‎‎ ‎‎

I did not know that, very interesting. Cheers for posting.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I had my ear bit off K

:yikes:
I Found your Ear
01_zpsxvo4nbcu.jpg~original

Do you want it back ? :sad6: IGMC
getmecoat_zpseg5n6tro.gif~original

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE