Aspen Wood and spoon blanks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with Aspen wood?

Is it good for carving ?(spoons,kuksas)

On the same note i was hoping if anyone knows of a wood maker that can make spoon blanks in the quantities(talking about at least 100)

Thanks

Mikey

p.s- mods,if this post is out of place please feel free to move it.

Lifted from elsewhere:

'Aspen, due to sheer quantity alone, supports much of the logging industry across the Great Lakes states and Canada. Abundant because it propagates and grows rapidly in areas cleared by fire or harvest, aspen has many commercial uses. You'll find it in furniture, toothpicks, matchsticks, boxes and crates, paneling, and chipboard. And, this plentiful tree has been a popular source for paper pulp since the late 1940s.
Beavers love aspen bark and consider it a staple food. These busy creatures, forever dam-building, also favor the wood for construction. They'll often gnaw down trees a half-mile or more from their damsite, and then drag or float them home. Grouse, too, cherish aspen, but for its succulent seeds--so small that it takes more than two million to make a pound.

Wood identification

Quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides), so-called because its leaves flutter in the slightest breeze, has an unbelievably wide growing range. It grows in a mostly northern belt stretching from Labrador and Newfoundland to Alaska's Yukon River. But, you can even find it in Mexico and Tennessee. Bigtooth (or large-tooth) aspen (Populus grandidentata), which also quakes, prefers the Great Lakes states and New England.

Kin to willow and cottonwood, aspen rarely exceeds 60' heights and diameters of 20". In their first 20 to 30 years it grows rapidly, and quickly renews a forest.
Bark on young trees may be white or greenish white, with dark gray or black welts and ridges. On older trees the bark can be 2" thick, black near the base, and deeply fissured. If you confuse aspen's bark with that of white birch, the leaves provide identification. Both aspen have oval-shaped leaves with toothed edges and stems flattened on the sides.
Sapwood comprises the majority of wood in aspen. It has the whiteness of holly or poplar. The small heartwood core produces light brown wood, often streaked and discolored. It weighs 25 pounds per cubic foot.
Fine-grained, straight, and uniform in texture, aspen generally lacks distinct pattern. Occasional mottle- and stripe-figured logs become veneers.

Working properties

Aspen doesn't contain resin, and has toughness as well as exceptional stiffness. The wood resists splitting when nailing or screwing, yet you can work it easily with hand tools because of its softness. It also glues well.
Due to the tendency for aspen's wood fibers to fuzz when worked, you need to use tools with sharp blades and cutters. While this wood takes paint readily, it blotches when stained unless you first apply a sealer.
You'll find aspen a stable wood that wears without splintering. However, in conditions favoring decay, it deteriorates.

Uses in woodworking

For carving, aspen makes a first-rate substitute for basswood. You also can fashion it into light-duty furniture, solid paneling, and millwork.
Aspen has no odor and imparts no taste to food-stuffs, so it's ideal for baskets, bowls, and containers. Children's toys made from aspen remain splinter-free.'

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Aspen is not very abundant in Kent so I grabbed a log when I could.
Quite easy to split & work with sharp tools, my log has streaks in the wood.
I made 2 spoons out of it the largest is a preserve spoon or pot stirrer.

AspenSp3.jpg

The oil treatment revealed a translucent band around the heartwood

AspenSp5.jpg

This was done with freshly felled wood. My spoon blanks are just round wood split in 2.

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE