askur's better than a kuksa?

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
whilst doing some research today i discovered a great bit of kit ,originating from iceland its a sort of kuksa with a lid,these are very clever apparently they are designed so you can eat on your bed they also keep food warm due to the wooden construction the lid also functions as a plate that holds bread and meat, and as with the kuksa each person would have their own askur and spoon.I can find very little information about them online,i suppose allthe info would be in Icelandic,do any of you guys know of the askur? anyone fancy having a go at making one? from other pictures i have found online they were often made from one piece of wood ,the lids allways decorated with chip or other type of carving ,also the name askur is believed to come from the old norse 'askr' meaning ash i assume the wood they were often made from.

askur2.jpg

picture coutesy of Eydís Guðmundsdóttir

askur.jpg

picture coutesy of 'bulletmiller'.

Last edited:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
That sounds and looks awesome and I can imagine how people might think that this a superior version of the kuksa,
Thanks for sharing it, never heard of it before
Yours sincerely Ruud

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
There's a few examples on here. They seem to translate as 'a lidded porridge bowl' and are a pretty sizable bit of kit. One of the examples on the page measures 10" x 7" x 9", so it's not something to be hanging on your belt!

Looks like an interesting carving project, though...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE