Ask me Questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
Okay after reading the thread I thought I try something different.
I have work in UK forests as forester, ranger a bit of ecological work for over 10 years and studied them as at University as well.

I claim to be no expert but know a few things i thought i like to share them with you guys but did not no where to start.

So my idea is you ask me what you like to know about Britains woods and forest I will see if I can answer them or ask one of my contacts who may know something about it so please ask me will try my best others are more than welcome to answer anything asked.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Is English yew a conifer? I have some odd conifer trees, or maybe more like large bushes, back in the woods by my place, which we've always called ground hemlock and have just discovered they are also known as Canadian yew.

Whenever I'd read of "bows of yew" and all that - I'd always pictured a decideous tree for some reason.

Is the Canadian yew similar to the English yew?

PG

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
pierre girard said:
Is English yew a conifer? ...

Whenever I'd read of "bows of yew" and all that - I'd always pictured a decideous tree for some reason.

PG

Not sure about the last statement, but Yew is an evergreen....Does that make it a conifer????

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
stovie said:
Kielder forest????? :rolleyes:

Just a guess. But it felt big when I was a kid.....
But the wood at the bottom of my garden was the biggest wood in Britain, when I was a kid......You could be right though.....

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Jon Pickett said:
But the wood at the bottom of my garden was the biggest wood in Britain, when I was a kid......You could be right though.....

My dad was a privateer in the RAC ralley in those days. Our family car, a Ford Anglia, had a full roll cage and completed several RACs. the highlight of my childhood was tearing through a stage in Kielder late at night with my dad at the wheel, and me "kacking" myself.....

The other highlight was my sister sitting on a Red Ant nest at two in the morning :lmao:

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
there are 3 native conifers

Yew (Taxus baccata), Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) and juniper (Juniperus phoenicea)

The biggest woodland is hard to define as a wood can actual be on several different peoples land so they are classed as different woods, for example between Hereford and leominster there is a large track of broadleaf woodland but this is techincally several adjoining not one big wood

The large tree covered areas such as the Kielder Lake District are mainly made up of plantations so dont count as woodland.
Same goes for places like the Forest of Dean which contain several woods, forest areas etc.

As for the actual biggest wood I think I know but double checking with a mate so will let you know asap.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
"Is English yew a conifer?"

Short answer yes,....long answer..........

The Yew family, Taxaceae, is part of the Pinales Order, formeraly the Coniferales. All Pinales produce a cone as their reproductive method. Origially the Yew family was seperate Order, but has now been included in the Pinales through research into it`s genetic past.

Conifers, commonly, are seen as equvilant to Gymnosperms, very basically meaning a naked seed. I say commonly because there are other forms of Gymnosperms such as the broadleaf Ginkgo biloba (Maidenhair Tree).

Feb 1, 2006
derbyshire
Not sure of the term "woodland" but Whitwell woods nottinghamshire, near us claims to be the largest wood in europe but i think thats to do with the term "wood" as its not that big.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
What is the difference between a butterfly and a moth? ;)
Is it true that the largest living organism (insert right word ) is a group of trees. Ash maybe and what/where are they?
Not a trick question but something i have in my head and want to get it right. :rolleyes:
Something to do with their root system being connected.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
pierre girard said:
Is English yew a conifer? I have some odd conifer trees, or maybe more like large bushes, back in the woods by my place, which we've always called ground hemlock and have just discovered they are also known as Canadian yew.

PG

They get to be big trees Pierre although they are slow growing

This old boy was in the ground a few hundred years back

churchyard0qm.jpg

Red

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
bilko said:
What is the difference between a butterfly and a moth? ;)
Is it true that the largest living organism (insert right word ) is a group of trees. Ash maybe and what/where are they?
Not a trick question but something i have in my head and want to get it right. :rolleyes:
Something to do with their root system being connected.
A butterfly rests with wings closed, a moth with them open. A moth has feathery antennae and a butterfly has knobs!
The largest living organism thing, do you mean the largest "clone"? I read that Japanese Knotweed has some sort of record as all Japanese knotweed in Europe is Female(possibly male but one sex at any rate!) and therefore has spread without breeding, by cuttings, to the coverage it has now! God knows how the problem would spread if it started breeding!

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
What might the common ancestor of the willow and the oak look like? Was it a tree? When did it live?

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Hi,

No Pic - Sorry but found a pile - yes a pile of very slimy dark brown fungi this weekend in the park. Was circular and flat in shape, and looked solid,

pulled apart showed it was fibrous, and looked to have texture of raw fish, however was very, very slimy and oozed when gravity took it.

Was on the floor attached to base of an oak

Any Clues ?

Ill try to get pic when i can

Loz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE