Ash Staff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Got myself a cracking peice of ash yesterday to make my first stick, my question is do i need to leave it to season or can i whip the bark off right away?

Thanks Dave

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
In the past when ive made sticks ive stripped the bark right away as its a pig to remove after its dried...If i do that i leave it overlong at the ends in case it splits during seasoning, you can then cut the split bits off when its dry.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Take bark off, dip ends in a bit of eggshell paint, or similar (hot wax also works) to seal the ends for drying and it shouldn't split.

Where is the fun in that? If it splits so be it, ever heard of plastic wood? (ooh blasphemy)

Whatever - good old fashioned linseed oil or the boiled variety is all the treatment it should need.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
lauditch is right the bark will be a pig to get off after seasoning doesnt have to be a totally clean strip as once nicely seasoned sandpaper is your friend

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Get the bark off to help it dry - I've read that leaving sticks in water for a couple of days can help the drying as the water forces sap out and evaporates faster when you take it out the water - I've tried it with pine for carving and it didn't cause a problem but I didn't have a "control" that wasn't soaked.

Why take the bark off ? It will look like you are carrying a white stick and looking for your dog. Ash is wood which can be worked or burnt while it is still green, furniture is made from it straight from the tree by chair bodgers.

Boston973

Feb 3, 2009
Mass
I make canes as a hobby and I had this problem for awile. Stripping the bark is a real pain once it dries but taking it off does add to the chance of the wood splitting. My wife ordered me a book on irish shillelagh and in it they suggested stripping the bark and oiling the stick. So I rub a coat of oil in after I strip it and a few more coats every few days as the wood dries out. What you are doing is replacing the water in the wood with oil that it adsorbes as it dries. The result is a much harder stick that I have also found takes stain far better than when I just dry the wood without it. Also I have never had a split since I started. Once I get a new charger for my camera I will post some pics of some of my sticks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE