Ash Spoon

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I had a bit of a "disagreement" a little while ago with a lady who was absolutely adamant that Ash (Fraxinus excelsior) was useless for carving things such as spoons and cups as it was 'too fibrous' to be any good.​

DSCN1147a.jpg

So i decided to call her bluff by carving this small eating spoon from a small Ash branch, I've also carved her a Kuksa to go with it and will take great delight in presenting these to her at some point in the near future, fair enough they were both carved from green wood, but even so, as long as you listen to and make note of what the materials you are using tell you, it's not a problem to carve these things.,

I'll post a pic of the Kuksa up a bit later.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I had a bit of a "disagreement" a little while ago with a lady who was absolutely adamant that Ash (Fraxinus excelsior) was useless for carving things such as spoons and cups as it was 'too fibrous' to be any good.....​

you have to wonder where people get these ideas into their heads, i was told recently by a basket weaver that willow can't be coppiced because it kills the tree (confused smiley), i thought it best to just nod my head and smile sweetly, she seemd to be having a lovely day and an argument with me would only have spoiled it for her.

nice work as always kepis, i look forward to seeing the kuksa

stuart​

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Very nice mate! - it has a cracking 'x factor'!!

However I'm adamant that you cant carve one out of hazel! - rubbish wood that is only useful for bean poles and charcoal!!!!!!
ashamed053611282jy0.gif

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Lovely work as usual Kepis :)

I bet you the lady will come up with some excuse as to why her opinion is still valid despite what ever you put in front of her :rolleyes:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers chaps

Very nice mate! - it has a cracking 'x factor'!!

Time to throw this one on the fire then, cant be associating myself with that carp :)

However I'm adamant that you cant carve one out of hazel! - rubbish wood that is only useful for bean poles and charcoal!!!!!!
ashamed053611282jy0.gif

Couldnt agree more, serving spoon made from Hazel

DSCF2371sep.jpg

DSCF2369sep.jpg

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lovely work as usual Kepis :)

I bet you the lady will come up with some excuse as to why her opinion is still valid despite what ever you put in front of her :rolleyes:

Cheers mate

without a doubt, i suspect she has "a certificate" that says she knows what she is talking about ;-)

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Nice spoons there! I would like to say that I once carved a bowl from very fast grown ash, and found that the vessels in the ring porous part of the wood were so big that I had some water seepage out through the end grain. Just something to think about if you do carve a kuksa, make sure that it is well sealed!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Just something to think about if you do carve a kuksa, make sure that it is well sealed!

know what you mean, ive carved a good dozen or more Ash now, must have been lucky as ive never had a seepage problem when using Ash for Kuksa's, mainly becuase the slow gin or whatever it is, is never in there long enough ;-)

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
nice work mate i really like this one, keep them coming. I think what the lady is trying to say is "she cant carve a spoon out of ash or she just carve a spoon full stop. ;)

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Very nice Kepis. I like the lines on the lower picture where you have a spine for strength.
Looks like my large spoon is made out of Ash after all, it's the same grain as your's.
Keep them coming they are inspirational mate.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Mmmm so if a lady says to an accomplished man, 'You can't make a kuksa from ash', chances are, they'll rise to the chllange and lo, she has a lovely kuksa.... I finally realise where I've gone wrong in my marriage. I'm not a lady ;)

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Mmmm so if a lady says to an accomplished man, 'You can't make a kuksa from ash', chances are, they'll rise to the chllange and lo, she has a lovely kuksa.... I finally realise where I've gone wrong in my marriage. I'm not a lady ;)

I'm not a lady either and it didn't work for me! :-(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE