Ash Kuksa

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Finally finished this fella. I started it during a demo in Oct, but got carried away talking to folks and doing other things. I fancied a change from Birch, and had plenty of green Ash at the time.

Found it half finished, lonely and forgotten in a the bottom of a bag of kit last week almost dry, so its been a bit tougher on the hands and tools. Its holding some wine just now... well kind of ;)

000_0566.jpg

Im good for a few lends now too. Have to find something else to carve. The Troll one I bought in Norway, and would like to make a few like these when theres a bit more time.

000_0563.jpg

Cheers,

Addo :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
top work chap, i like that a lot, i've still never got round to finishing one of these, must do one day soon.

stuart

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
top work chap, i like that a lot, i've still never got round to finishing one of these, must do one day soon.

stuart

Thanks, I always start them well then seem to leave unfinished for ages, going off to do something else,...then something else....etc, etc :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Thanks, I always start them well then seem to leave unfinished for ages, going off to do something else,...then something else....etc, etc :)

that sounds like all of my projects, i tend to start carving something and then leave it on a shelf where it goes damp, or too close to the fire so it cracks, or somewhere safe and then can't find it again, or....and this is personal favourite....spend vast amounts of time seasoning and preparing half a dozen matching pieces of apple for knife scales and then leave them on the desk whilst i go away to spitewinter for the weekend and the dog eats them all, bless him.

stuart (still in no great hurry)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I really wish I could get the hang of working with wood.

I can stab and bind a bit of leather into an object. I've sort of got the hang of smashing rocks together to produce something useful.

I can even beat a piece of metal into submission.

But wood asks for a level of co-operation which I'm just not good at.

I really love the stuff you produce but it just seems beyond me at the moment.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
This stuff looks amazing! great workmanship.
Is it possible to make bowls and kuksa's etc without a spoon knife? for example using the embers method that can be used for spoons? but just with a few more embers? or am I just being ridiculous.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I really wish I could get the hang of working with wood.

....stab and bind....smashing rocks together....beat....into submission.

But wood asks for a level of co-operation which I'm just not good at.....

i think you know the answer to your problem here wayland without it having to be pointed out to you!

too much :viking: and not enough :240:

you need to love your wood

stuart

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks for the great comments all

This stuff looks amazing! great workmanship.
Is it possible to make bowls and kuksa's etc without a spoon knife? for example using the embers method that can be used for spoons? but just with a few more embers? or am I just being ridiculous.

No, your not being ridiculous. Treeboy has just been making one using embers.

http://www.bushcraftliving.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10385

Next time I make it to a meet, I could bring some green wood and kit down for folks to have a go at making one.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Thanks for the great comments all

No, your not being ridiculous. Treeboy has just been making one using embers.

http://www.bushcraftliving.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10385

Next time I make it to a meet, I could bring some green wood and kit down for folks to have a go at making one.

Great kuksa Paul. Looks like it holds a generous portion and the ash makes for a nice change. I struggle to get a decent handle, you have that nailed. If you're at Rough Close or North Woods oneday and have some green ash I'd love a piece to do another one. All the larger sized ones I've started were left and bullet proof when I went back to them or split before I finished them. Nice work!

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Another long bent gouge user !
Great work

NS

There great aren't they, especially these ones, Ive made the Ash one, ladle one, and roughed out two others with the gouge, and all its had is a couple of light strokes on a strop, never seen a stone. Its so much quicker and easier than a spoon type knife & drill combination too.

No worries Chad, I go find a fresh coppiced pole for next time dude. Might knock up a load of spatulas & spoons too while its green.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
All's good ta Simon, Been busy in the storms?, bet there's some quality carving wood falling down!

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I've missed most of it tbh, I need to get carving again mate, just need to manage my time around everything else lol.
Got a nice big old Willow pollard coming down soon tho, think I might be taking some of that for a bowl or kuksa.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE