Ash Keys?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I was thinking Rowan too. From the look of the leaves it is possible. Berries tend to start orange and deepen in colour as Autumn goes on. Check the bark, if it has a dotted pattern, that is another sign it is Rowan. The leaf edges are also serrated if that helps.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Depends on the tree tbh. I eat a few raw, but I like the bitter tang; Warthog1981 screwed up his face like he'd eaten the sourest of sour lemons when I gave him one to munch, though, so it's a definite preference.
Some trees are sweeter than others, but they're all, as British Red said, better cooked, they really are.

Think British Marmalade without using any imported fruits, and you're in the right frame of mind for them.

Rowan and Apple jelly is the traditional way to use them. It's good with meat, and not just with lean venison, but with greasy meats too, it 'cuts the grease', as they say.

I like it on oatcakes with cheese or the berries used to make a tangy sweet chilli sauce.

cheers,
Toddy

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I was thinking Rowan too. From the look of the leaves it is possible. Berries tend to start orange and deepen in colour as Autumn goes on. Check the bark, if it has a dotted pattern, that is another sign it is Rowan. The leaf edges are also serrated if that helps.

Yes the leave are definitely serrated.:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'll find the chilli one, but the jelly's easy.

Don't make it just from Rowans, it makes a dreadful tasting jelly and it's just a waste of sugar.

Whatever weight of rowans you gather, use up to three times that weight in apples....windfalls, crabs, whatever's cheap at the end of the day in the supermarket; they all work :)

Pick the rowans off the stalks, and rinse them and mostly drain. Rinse (wash depending on where you got them) the apples, and cut them up into at least quarters. Put both fruits into a big pot and just barely cover them in water (skimp rather than drown, iimmc) Heat gently, cover and poach them until the fruits are all mushy, you can mash them up with the tattie masher if you like, but it can make it hard to strain to a clear jelly. If you don't mind cloudy, go for it.

Strain the fruits out of the liquid (big sieve lined with kitchen towels if you don't have a jelly bag) let it drip overnight.
Next day measure the liquid you have and pint for pound or litre for kg, add sugar.
Slowly bring up to a rolling boil, making sure the sugar is all dissolved before the liquid boils.

Just make it as ordinary jelly/jam from then on.
It does need a little skimming if you want clear jelly, but it sets well and it's a beautiful rose pink colour and it's tangy and tasty, and bitter like good marmalade :D

cheers,
M

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
and bitter like good marmalade :D

When I was a kid I never liked the marmalade my grandmother used to make because it had "Too much peel in it", now I look for the highest peel content in any I get and don't like the really sweet ones.
Funny how taste matures.

mountainy man

Jun 23, 2010
sligo, ireland
It looks like a cultivar called "joseph rock", It has good autumn colour and the berries seem to be left by the birds till all others are gone, tis a nice tree but I prefer the native one though. Very good year for rowan berries.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
It looks like a cultivar called "joseph rock", It has good autumn colour and the berries seem to be left by the birds till all others are gone, tis a nice tree but I prefer the native one though. Very good year for rowan berries.

Which people seem to be linking to the likelihood of a hard winter...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk now Free

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE