Ash as a knife sheath?

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I'm currently planning (half finished) a wood and part leather sheath for a rehandled new knife blade (finished)
The sheath wood being very well seasoned, stabilised ash. The whole of the blade will be submerged into the ash, and I wondered about rust forming. I know, should have thought of this long before now, but you know how things progress sometimes. Anyone have experience with ash as a sheath?

I seem to remember reading that it was the wood of choice for blade protection. Can I just keep the blade oiled, greased up?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
The only thing I know is, Japanese knife makers make wooden sheaths quite often , my uncle had one and it lated for years until he gave it away , really cool and unique looking.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Ah, thanks chaps. I forgot to say its a carbon blade. So would be more prone to rust.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I did my long seax sheath in ash but it was lined with lanolin soaked short shaved sheepskin so it don't really count I guess.

Atb

tom
That sounds interesting. The blade I've been fiddling with, is sort of a seax too. Did you post images of yours on another thread?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I tend to use plywood sheaths for my own knives and have never had a problem with rust

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
As a wood carver, I can't see a problem. Just be diligent about drying it at home and don't store the knife in it at home. The drain hole is a dang good suggestion. Changing indoor/outdoor humidity/rain/snow will change the moisture content of the wood. Any cold blade will attract condensation. The very same argument as for field cases for rifles and shotguns. Guns in the cabinet, cases unzipped/open.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Hmmmm. Plywood eh. Do you use it as a liner, then cover with leather?

Nope, just a squirt of spray oil inside. Paint or dye it if I have some to hand. They are by no means pretty, but they work
095ccd8187c5f74dd8c1a4e1a756c498.jpg

Works on bigger stuff too
b5cdf1207748db11be0bbeb72fa70ed2.jpg

Last edited:

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Nope, just a squirt of spray oil inside. Paint or dye it if I have some to hand. They are by no means pretty, but they work
095ccd8187c5f74dd8c1a4e1a756c498.jpg
Nowt wrong with that. Very functional, job done. I like that.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
As a wood carver, I can't see a problem. Just be diligent about drying it at home and don't store the knife in it at home. The drain hole is a dang good suggestion. Changing indoor/outdoor humidity/rain/snow will change the moisture content of the wood. Any cold blade will attract condensation. The very same argument as for field cases for rifles and shotguns. Guns in the cabinet, cases unzipped/open.
Thanks. Yeah, all makes sense to me. I guess storing in original plastic sheath, tucked away in a box after a clean and oiling would suffice.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Nowt wrong with that. Very functional, job done. I like that.

Aye they work canny. Honestly I've had more trouble with leather sheaths rusting blades than wood if they get damp. Best thing about the plywood ones to be honest is they're basically disposable, pennies for the ply and glue. And they take no time to make on a scroll saw

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Drying and a very light oiling does no harm.
I strip the shotguns after warm-up in the house.
Mop the barrels and wipe everything with an oiled cloth.
Check all springs and hinges for lube.

I have 3 Chinese carbon steel cleavers in the kitchen for nearly daily use. Hot washes, dried on the warm stove top.
Maybe a wipedown with a spot of olive oil on paper towel. Homemade cardboard masks, never rust.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
That sounds interesting. The blade I've been fiddling with, is sort of a seax too. Did you post images of yours on another thread?

Indeedy I did.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117704&page=4

Sorry it's long winded but it's a compulsion. I also did a plywood sheath for the big Nessy I made ( we made would be more accurate ) but I failed to ensure the wood was perfectly dry so for a while had a persistent problem with rust on the same spot on the blade if it was left unused for a few months. In the end I made a leather blade cover ( calling it a sheath would be too grand) for storage and just used the wooden one when actually taking it out. In between time the woods dried out so the problems gone but I could have saved myself a lot of minor hassle in the first place by just making sure the ply was bone dry in the first place.

The shaved down sheep skin that's been lanolised is working really well, I've used it on a thick leather sheath as well for another Seax ( there's bound to be a thread on it going into mind numbing detail) and you can sort of adjust the grip of the sheath on the blade by adding more lanolin. Truth be said I rather overdid it with the wooden scabbard and now it's a bit stiff to draw it out but that will wear off in time. I could repeatedly draw it and wipe the blade off to remove the sheep grease but since I don't need to quick draw it I'll let it happen naturally.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sorry, forgot to add, there's still plentry of the charity shop sheepskin jacket left if you need any for lining. Not sure how big the biggest panels left are but your welcome to some.

atb

tom

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Many thanks Tombear, for the generous offer, and the marvelous thread post of your tinkering. Very impressive project. I'll be trying to digest, enjoy it over the next few days. I love the look of a seax, any shape or size.

I've already made the wood part of the sheath, so lining is out now. I'm looking into a maybe carving a little design into the wood part, which then continues into the leather part :eek: Think I'll be okay with the ash, but never carved leather, so I'll be practicing for a while methinks, on scrap leather. Not sure on a carry method either. I don't think I will ever carry it on my belt, maybe attached to my pack, back/side of, or maybe shoulder straps? Not sure yet, hope to think of something that is modular in that way. Originally thought of just practical, rather than aesthetic, but my ambitions far outweigh my common sense and ability. So, hence an attempt at a glamour sheath. But by just having a go, making mistakes, you learn things that can't be taught sometimes. Plus, also on my mind is that one day, when I get too old and can no longer use it, whatever I make, can be given or sold to someone else, and still be a useful tool, and give pleasure to them.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
I have a wood sheath a good friend made me. Oil the wood up never an issue. I'm not one to worry much about storage my knives have never had any issues rusting. I have an old mora I'm contemplating a wood sheath matched handle. Yet another project no time for lol.

Mock91 those are good lookin pieces bud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE