ASDA 'sigg-a-like' bargain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madra

Oct 6, 2008
the intarweb
i just spotted these in my local ASDA today, where they've got 25% off all their camping and barbecue stuff [obviously they've seen some dismal weather forecasts for the rest of the summer!]

500ml aluminium water bottles for the princely sum of £1,50. it seems sturdy enough and at about a tenth the price of the equivalent sigg, you cannae go wrong, can you?

siggalike.jpg

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Is it Bisphenol A free? (BPA) Otherwise I'm yet to have a coke bottle leak on me and they're really quite rugged and light. Resisted buying a SIGG till I find one which specifically says BPA free on it as retaillers still have the BPA bottles stocked. (I'm aware the coke bottle probably has BPA in it too...)

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Isnt BPA relevant to plastic?

How is it related to aluminium?

Can aluminium give you alzheimers then? (HUGELY resisting the urge to say that I had forgotten - out of a misguided sense of political correctness!)

ATB
Dave

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Can aluminium give you alzheimers then? (HUGELY resisting the urge to say that I had forgotten - out of a misguided sense of political correctness!)

ATB
Dave

From www.alzheimers.org.uk
Environmental factors

The environmental factors that may contribute to the onset of Alzheimer's disease have yet to be identified. A few years ago, there were concerns that exposure to aluminium might cause Alzheimer's disease. However, these fears have largely been discounted.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Isnt BPA relevant to plastic?

How is it related to aluminium?

ATB
Dave

The screw top is plastic

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
It did turn out that old Sigg bottles did contain BPA in the lining, (something they reluctantly admitted) for that reason I would be suspicious of Sigg a likes.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
i s'pose it depends how full the bottle is and how hard you throw it

:lmao: indeed.

BPA doesn't kill, but then again I'm being 'aware' plus the fact most people don't realise it's part of the lining of the bottle.

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
Go to Yeomans Outdoors, Sigg bottles (gen) for a fiver ;)

Not sure about this whole BPA thing, but for what it's worth I'd steer clear, a quick google on what this chemical does is enough for me... As is the fact that Nalgene, Camelbak et al have all gone down the no-BPA route, gotta be a reason for it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE