ASAT camo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:D :cool:
A camo designer in our midst!!!

I just took a look at PenCott and It seems pretty darn good!

:notworthy

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
The best camo for deer and other colour blind animals is a nice Hawaiian shirt with a large floral pattern. Seriously.

You won't frighten old ladies either.:D

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
The best camo for deer and other colour blind animals is a nice Hawaiian shirt with a large floral pattern. Seriously.

You won't frighten old ladies either.:D
Just make sure you don't stick it in the wash with Persil, or you'll end up glowing in the UV spectrum and scare any animal for miles around ;)

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Just make sure you don't stick it in the wash with Persil, or you'll end up glowing in the UV spectrum and scare any animal for miles around ;)
Could you please expand on this? I think I may be about to learn something new!
What is Persil?

On colourblind deer I have an article somewere about how animals see colours and appearantly blue and yellow stands out from the grayscale even for deer but the red/orange don´t.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Could you please expand on this? I think I may be about to learn something new!
What is Persil?

On colourblind deer I have an article somewere about how animals see colours and appearantly blue and yellow stands out from the grayscale even for deer but the red/orange don´t.
Well, it's still a matter of great debate, and I'm not an expert on this but...

... the theory is that while humans have a filter in their eyes which block 99% of UV light, deer don't have one. So if you've ever been in a nightclub with UV lights (blacklights) you'll notice that white clothing really stands out. Part of the reason is that many laundry detergents (e.g. Persil brand etc) contain brighteners that also reflect a lot of UV light.

So in low light conditions - early morning or late evening - when most of the visible light has gone, deer can sometimes see you in the UV spectrum... apparently you "glow" like a ghost to them!

There's a couple of articles here:
http://www.qdma.com/articles/details.asp?id=48
http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2003/06/what-deer-see

Thing is, this view tends to be presented by people who want to sell you their special (i.e. very expensive!) brand of non-UV detergent, and the chances are if deer do see UV it's pretty minimal.

Interesting theory though!!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I wear a pair of multi-cam trousers when out 'shrafting.

I chose them because they had a pocket for knee pads (I have had my knee "done" 4 times now and set off metal detectors!), but find them quite effective when blending in.

Seen here at Windermere Meet last year, with matching BcUk t-shirt...
SA400064.jpg

Simon

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im no camo wearer, but recently I got a faux camo fleece jacket.

Its four colours; off black, cream, russet and chocolate.

But in artificial light that changes to off black, cream, dark brown and OLIVE!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE