artificial sweetners in mincemeat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I made up my first batch of mincemeat, and would you believe it? its all gone save a half jar for myself.

Im going to make a second batch, but my uncle whos diabetic suggested I use artificial sweetners

there are some good ones on the market, but how would it affect the recipie?

Sugar is in there not just for flavour, its a preservative too.

Ok, brandy helps.

what would artificial stuff do?

I could use less sugar...but then I would be faced with the same dilemma.

any suggestions?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Think simmered down fruit like pears or dates or apricots for the thickening and since that'll remove a lot of the liquid then the mincemeat ought to keep without adding extra sugar or artificial sweetners (horrible things).
You could maybe just make a small batch and give it a try since it'd get used up by Christmas.

The fruit might throw his diabetes out of synch anyway, depends on how he controls it I suppose.

I think it'd be worthwhile pm-ing Match too, he's a good cook and this sort of thing is right up his street.

See if the recipe works? Let us know ? :)

cheers,
Toddy

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I've not made it for ages, but love home made mincemeat ... I seem to remember last time we made it eating quite a bit straight from the jar with a teaspoon 'cos it was so good! Artificial sweeteners are truly disgusting and I think would spoil it. I've never tried it, but the 'sugar free' versions I've seen use apple juice concentrate as a sweetener - you can buy it from wholefood stores.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I don't know myself Tengu but we do get asked that question a fair bit at work and we've
got some information about adapting recipes and the effect it has, also a booklet on
sweeteners. If you want to PM me your address I can send you some info - but it does
seem that you've already got some useful suggestions here.

Not sure we've got anything specifically aimed at mincemeat though...

Some sweeteners provide sweetness only and none of the physical properties of sugar,
so it can make the recipe go a bit peculiar.

I'd say - make the mincemeat as normal, let your uncle know any details he needs
about the sugar content and he can decide how much to have :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Not tried it myself but I understand that liquorice is many, many times sweeter than sugar, weight for weight, and can be used as a sweetener without the sugar content (fruit/granulated etc) and without the harmful effects of artificial sweeteners.
I have not heard of flavourless liquorice extract and the flavour may be odd in mincemeat......but nothing ventured, nothing gained!
I dont actually like mincemeat much,( nor Xmas cake for that matter, nor Xmas...) so I doubt that the change in flavour would upset me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE