[Recipe] Strawberry Vinegar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Expanding from British Red's thread Rule #32; Enjoy the Little Things where I mentioned starting on the makings of a batch of Strawberry Vinegar. Anyway ...

I claim absolutely no title to this recipe, in fact I've nicked it from elsewhere!

Anyway, as per the title, this is a simple, if long winded, recipe for making Strawberry Vinegar. Hopefully it'll turn out to be a winner! :D

Degree of DifficultyEasy
Cooking Time3 - 4 Minutes
Special EquipmentSugar thermometer, food processor (or a knife), sterilized jelly bag, sterilised bottles (vinegar proof sealing)
YieldAbout 2 litres (31/2 pints)
Shelf Life2 years
Serving SuggestionsDressing Salads, Finish meat sauces, Sprinkle / spray over strawberries etc

Ingredients
1.25 litres (2 pints) cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
1kg (2lb) ripe, full flavoured strawberries
A few wild strawberries or small cultivated strawberries and a few basil leaves (optional)

Directions:

1. Bring the vinegar to the boil in a non-corrosive pan, and boil rapidly for 1 - 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool to 40 degrees C (104F).
  2. Hull the strawberries, then finely chop in the food processor. Transfer to a large glass jar or bowl. See *[SUP]1[/SUP] below
  3. Pour the warm vinegar over the chopped berries and mix well. Cover with a clean cloth and leave to stand in a warm place (a warm sunny windowsill is ideal) for two weeks, stirring occasionally.
  4. Strain the vinegar through the sterilized jelly bag, then filter. Pour into sterilized bottles, then seal.
  5. To intensify the flavour of the vinegar, thread a few wild or small cultivated strawberries and some Basil leaves alternating onto thin wooden skewers. Insert a skewer into each bottle, and seal. The vinegar is ready to use immediately, but the flavour improves with keeping

Please note: At the point of typing I'm part way through step 3. and this is the first try at a fruit vinegar[SUP]*4[/SUP] ;) .

Variations: Blackberry or Blackcurrant Vinegar
Substitute the strawberries with blackberries or blackcurrants, and increase the vinegar to 1.5 litres (2 1/2 pints). Omit the wild strawberries and Basil. Follow the method as for the main recipe. Blackberry or blackcurrant vinegar makes (apparently *2) a superb salad dressing or can be diluted and served as a refreshing drink.

TIP:

Although the flavour of fruit vinegars improves with keeping, their colour will eventually fade and turn brown *3.

And remember, if you buy mediocre tasting (whether it's cheap, expensive, or otherwise) strawberries then you're guaranteed a mediocre strawberry vinegar (based on the chance of poor ingredients leading to a poorer than expected meal).

*[SUP]1[/SUP] If, like me, you don't have a food processor then use a suitable knife instead. And, if you do use a knife and you're not a really adept / skilled slicer and dicer, do step two first ;) .
*2 As yet I have no proof, it's just what the recipe I nicked says ;) .
*3 Don't ask why because I don't know and if it's nice, is it likely to last long enough to see it happen?
[SUP]*4[/SUP] I'll be reserving post #02 in order to finish off the process.

Simple enough, have a bash :D

Thanks for reading through. Feel free to ask questions ~ I don't promise to be able to answer any of them ;)

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Well the goop has steeped, stirred occasionally, been strained through a sterilised jelly bag*, and bottled (Set to strain Thursday night, bottled Friday morning ~ remembered to update Sunday eve )

It's looking (well, tasting ...) good so far and has gained a sweetly acid twang :D . Apparently the flavour develops further with keeping :approve: .

As is to be expected, there was some loss of liquid and the finished product gave me just under 900ml ~ ambient temperature and a multitude of other factors will affect the end product volume.

I'll keep this post updated with what I've tried it with.

* left to drain overnight, no pressing or squeezing ~ less chance of clouding that way, same with jams and so on.

EDIT:

First Test:Spritzed over Fresh Strawberries and Vanilla Ice Cream.
Verdict:Ho Mama! A raging success ... even with 'mediocre' out of season but fresh strawberries the sour acid bounces and balances the sweetness of the strawberry with the creaminess of the ice cream.
Don't be afraid to be a bit heavy handed with the vinegar ;)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds really nice Phil :D
I quite fancy that over a salad.

Talking of strawberries, and in particular, wild ones (I did a thread last Summer about making syrup from them) the syrup that I made is incredibly strong. It's too 'much' unless used as a tiny drizzle or in chocolates or mignardises. It might be rather good in the vinegar though :)
If either of you would like some I have a bottle left and will split and post ? I have some couple of ounce sized ones that should be robust enough not to break in the mail.

atb,
Mary

link....this stuff :)
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110435

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Sounds gorgeous
I quite fancy that over a salad.

Here's hoping :D .

Really should do the Bread and Butter Pickle recipe as well, I made a second batch up but forgot to take pics :eek:

Talking of strawberries, and in particular, wild ones >>><<< will split and post ? >>><<<
link....this stuff :)
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110435

A very kind offer, which might work nicely ~ but I don't have enough experience (yet) to say whether it would be better to have it as a partial or complete substitute :dunno: . Let's see how this works first???

And thanks for the link :approve: I missed it first time round :eek: .

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I may well try the Strawberry Syrup recipe in the Summer Mary - thanks - I wonder if it would be good in Cava?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaahh unusually we can disagree :)

My brother lives in Spain and I have to say, good Cava (not Tesco cheap stuff), is every bit as good as Champagne!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Aaahh unusually we can disagree :)

My brother lives in Spain and I have to say, good Cava (not Tesco cheap stuff), is every bit as good as Champagne!
There you go:) Even "good" champagne is (in my opinion) only drinkable if you add a good slug of Brandy! Over rated and overpriced fizzy pop :D

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
that sounds like a really unique flavour (strawberries and vinegar) but could be worth a go, agree with needing decent ingredients, all the strawberries atm have massive food miles and very little flavour:( but sure spring then summer is just around the proverbial.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm reading this with interest. We have propagated an additional 200 strawberry plants for the coming year. In the next few weeks I need to create an additional 200 square feet of raised beds for them :) I need to plan out a lot of strawberry based recipes!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hulled, halved and dried, they're very, very good :D Excellent munchy, tasty in muesli, and they keep well. Surprisingly tart.

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh I'll be drying a load - and canning a load - and making quite a lot of strawberry rhubarb pie filling - but I hope to need more recipes :) Mind you the strawberry melomel should account for at least ten pounds!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Want the Pineapple and Mint Jelly recipe? IIRC it's primarily intended for lamb (the mint), but the pineapple means it works nicely with pig meat (cured and otherwise). It also works quite nicely with beef and is quite complementary when it has blended on the plate with gravy (both bought and made from juices). EDIT: Went well with turkey too :D .

I haven't forgotten the Bread and Butter pickle ~ I can't eat cheese, but herself had some with Black Bomber and "OH YES!" was the comment on that one ;) .

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wouldn't mind - but I may substitute pineberries. Hillbill gave me 6 and I have about 15 now - I'll propagate up to 50 sq ft next year :)

I left the caramalised onion chutney a little long yesterday. Its jet black and as sticky as Araldite. Still tastes great though. I'm out of black bomber sadly :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE