Artificial sinew?

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!
I've been thinking of getting some artificial sinew for sewing and wrapping the top of knife handles (along with hide glue, I think - I have a couple in mind which should show up within a couple months :D ) and I was wondering, should I buy plain artificial sinew or braided?

Plain
Braided

Cheers folks!
Pete

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Plain..

you can make your own braided from plain sinew, but trying to make plain out of braided will be a pain in the butt ;)

unless you plan on only using braided of course...

Well to be honest, I think I'd kill something if I tried to make braided sinew out of plain :p I did a simple braided baldric for my knife sheath, which was around 5'2" long, and my hands were desperately trying to overpower my brain and slap me for making them cramp up so much :p It is a good point though, in a pinch, it wouldn't be too bad to whip up some braided sinew... better than having curly sinew :D

Cheers!
Pete

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Artificial sinew is just nylon thread that has been waxed.

And you could always make up some of your own to see how it might look/work. Just take Dental Floss, and run it over bee's wax. That's artificial sinew.

Trying to split out or "un-braid" that braided artificial sinew just isn't worth it. Just use it as is for what it is.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Artificial sinew is just nylon thread that has been waxed.

And you could always make up some of your own to see how it might look/work. Just take Dental Floss, and run it over bee's wax. That's artificial sinew.

Trying to split out or "un-braid" that braided artificial sinew just isn't worth it. Just use it as is for what it is.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Cheers mate :D As it happens, I love using dental floss for bindings, I just don't like stuff smelling minty fresh :p So I guess plain is the way to go!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE