Article: Web-tex Steel of Fire Survival Match

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Hi John

Nice review of a good little bit of kit.

I have had a couple for a few years now and I use it to teach the cadets. The younger ones sometimes need to use both hands or get given the help of an adult as they find it difficult to apply the correct amount of pressure. The older kids use it easily.

I thought about your problem with the pictures so I got my machine gun app on my ipad out and took these. I hope they are what you were looking for?

IMG_7409_zpsd9528c40.jpg

IMG_7410_zps991aa0ab.jpg

IMG_7414_zps67451c38.jpg

IMG_7415_zps3a53e5d8.jpg

IMG_7417_zps11944349.jpg

IMG_7418_zpsf6f573ee.jpg

IMG_7416_zps00b0b974.jpg

IMG_7419_zps4e2dc59c.jpg

IMG_7410_zps0f775dfc.jpg

IMG_7420_zpsb88133c8.jpg

IMG_7423_zps68eaf0e4.jpg

The last picture shows the steel rod from one of these devices that I broke when it got crushed by a boulder. I jest re-set it into some antler and it works perfectly as a traditional firesteel.

Feel free to use the pictures how you like buddy.

Cheers

George

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice wee review Mr Fenna (and also the additional pics by George). Always wondered how good they were for the cash and can see that they'd be useful if one hand/arm was out of action. (Though I would be tempted to use the wee disposable lighter I keep for emergencies in my kit.)

Does it have a tendency to skite around if the surface is slippery?

Cheers for posting up.

ATB,
GB.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I find the sparkie jams after a while as the spring is pretty naff in them.

These big ones though work well. They are all chinese made and come in a variety of flavours but you can pick them up for £6

http://www.dx.com/p/flint-survival-tool-kit-flint-stick-blunt-blade-whistle-41866#.UzQ16RK9F1M

is that an actual blast match though? On the little video on that page it just looks like a ferro rod and striker than looks like a blast match but still requires an a striker?

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi.
I got one of these a couple of years ago and it broke having only used it twice! Must admit ive never been a fan of Webtex gear, but it may just have been a bad apple. Once the housing broke I took the ferro out fully and Ive used it like you usually would with a striker and that has worked great and still going strong!

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
My pal bought one, biggest pile of cheep rubbish ever, fell apart in the box before it even arrived, even worse than the Web-Tex surprisingly inert Maya Dust. 0/10

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I don't know what you guys do to kit ... the review sample is still going strong and is part of my teaching kit so gets used by folk with no idea of looking after equipment!

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Strange really isn't it, my pal bought one and reviewed it on Netfrog Moray and I think I'm right here quote "worst bit of kit ever" with a final and fairly damming verdict of "FAIL"...

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Does it have a tendency to skite around if the surface is slippery?

Been using the Ultimate Survival Technologies BlastMatch which looks to be the same for several years now, it can slip on some surfaces.

If you do find it slipping though you can hold the device over your tinder and push in the rod using your finger.
Bit tricky getting the right amount of force on the striker with your thumb at the same time, but once you got the knack it's easy.

Only problem i've had with mine is the fire steel is very brittle, i've had 2 shatter :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE