Article: SAS Survival handbook

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I have a copy of this, no surprise there.

I would like to add to the above that this is "The" book of the SAS Survival survival training, The information in the book was written during Loftys' many years of teaching survival to fellow soldiers in the Special Air service and not after he left, it was only after he left that his comrades in the Regiment told him he should sell his knowledge to the public.

Wingstoo

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
i to have this book bought it when it came out in 86 ,lost it when i moved house 10 years ago and found it again yesterday clearing my loft out

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I to have this book, in 3 flavours. the original from when I was about 13 and then the new updated verion and the colins small cut down version as well as the iphone app. Can anyone tell me the morse code error in all three editions???

I do love the book, but still wonder even to this day how you can get all the kit listed in the survival pouch, let alone the tin, i.e. all the meds that are listed.

even so its still a real winner, I have other bushcraft survival books, but still keep creeping back to read this book, its a one stop shop. A bit of everything for everyone.

Cheers

Rick

Last edited:

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I have a very well thumbed copy i bought when it first came out .
It has pride if place in my 12 year old daughters bookcase , she reads it all the time. I do worry about that one sometimes.:headbang:
The boys just can't keep up with her :lmao:

Craig.................

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've got the original square one since I was about 13. It was my first book on the topic of survival / bushcraft. Read in it everyday for years, before going to sleep. By the time I was 16 I knew it by heart - word by word (as we found out when my younger sister questioned me, as I was still lumping the book around the house).

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
top book! i have a third edition from 1986, and a mid 90's reprint, the missus bought me the super duper reprint with camo hardback, which at first i found it a bit of a confusing layout but now i love it. tho on the first page there is a an error when it says the berlin wall came down in 1999! blimey! such a good party they did it twice! she then bought me the gem's version also, but not so keen on it.

all in all, one of the greatest reference books available, and most deffo the best in this subject. i am as we speak, tailoring my survival tin for my next outing, as per lofty standard!

anyone wishing to start out in this subject, this is the book, i still read bits from it once a week or so. this is what got me into bushcraft i reckon, before i knew who Mears was i had this, and i've developed it more into bushcraft interests now.

5 stars!

Rich^uk

Feb 4, 2010
England
A great read since I was young (was born in 86). He does however say Yew berries are inedible. been proving him wrong for years :p

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
A great read since I was young (was born in 86). He does however say Yew berries are inedible. been proving him wrong for years :p

Yew Berries are among the berries which cause the greatest percentage of poisonings. They are about 8-10 mm in diameter and fleshy in appearance. Bright scarlet in colour, they have a cup like depression at the base. The inside of this depression contains the dark coloured seed.The berries are produced in September.Most poisonings are due to their bright coloration and deceptively appetising appearance making them attractive to children.

http://www.safegardening.co.uk/PoisonousBerries.html

Everything is edible...Once!

Last edited:
D

DavidBFPO

hello,
I borrowed this when it came out
(returned it well thumbed), still have a copy on the shelf. One of the first books
on survival skills I read was 'No Need To Die' by Eddie McGhee (Parachute Regt/SAS).
Regards
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE