Article: Portable Solar Panel use, thoughts and a review

• UPDATE - The main upgrade is now finished. The site should now be functioning as normal, I will be making tweaks over the weekend, particularly to look of the site. If you notice something is broken or have any comments please let me know. Many thanks Matt (Lithril)

techguyone

Jan 19, 2015
W Mids, United Kingdom
Interesting stuff, I like a mix of tech to go with the basics too, I've often wondered if Solar Tech had come along, I didn't really fancy the dinky handheld sized panels as I suspected they were little more than useless. It's still a sign that Solars got a way to go as even with that all spread out, in most conditions it will still only output the same as an average mains charger. That's a little disappointing considering the size of it, although it puts the claims of the smaller units into question.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Interesting stuff, I like a mix of tech to go with the basics too, I've often wondered if Solar Tech had come along, I didn't really fancy the dinky handheld sized panels as I suspected they were little more than useless. It's still a sign that Solars got a way to go as even with that all spread out, in most conditions it will still only output the same as an average mains charger. That's a little disappointing considering the size of it, although it puts the claims of the smaller units into question.
I think you misread the article.

He got *double* the output of a standard USB charger. The same output as a 'fast' charger.

That is pretty damn good IMO.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Nice article! I have the Anker 14 W panel coupled with a 20,000 mAh battery pack. I found this the best way to charge stuff too as my iPad and phone can be a bit finaky straight off the panel.
There are cheap USB digital volt/amp meters that you can plug into the panel then plug what your charging into the meter, it's a great way of seeing what's happening during the charge.
IME the voltage remains pretty close to 5 volts but the current can fluctuate wildly depending on the conditions. I did notice that if I plug my Apple gadgets into the panel in sub optimum conditions they may say 'not charging' but are in fact trickle charging. I see this as the battery meter goes up slowly and also that volt/amp meter is showing the device is actually taking a current.
Hope to put my panel through its paces this year and will share my findings if any new info becomes relevant.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
IME the voltage remains pretty close to 5 volts but the current can fluctuate wildly depending on the conditions.
That's normal behaviour for a PV panel.
Angling your panel so that the sun's rays are 90 incident to the panel can help a lot. Setting up a reflector to reflect more sun onto the panel should also make a large difference in less than bright sunny weather.