Article: My take on a woodspirit carving tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 20, 2010
St Helens
Well done a great tutorial you have just introduced me to this type of carving and I am definately going to try it out. Thanks a lot for giving your time and expertise.

soggy boots

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2007
Manchester
What a coincidence!
I bought myself some Flexcut tools over Christmas and started carving Wood Spirits.
My efforts so far are amateurish and, I have run out of plasters for my numerous cuts to hand and fingures.
This tutorial has been inspiring and of great help in planning the carving operations.
Your work looks great!!
Well done!!!

woodowl

Dec 29, 2011
Glamorgan
Been carving these chaps since the 90's in the community art world in South Wales. Every one has a personality of their own. Most of my work is chainsaw and carving tool finish it all comes down to what the wood will let you show. irfon@hotmail.co.uk

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Thanks for the excellent tutorial Steve! I always fancied having a go at one of these and it was this thread that inspired me to get round to it. Plenty of room for improvement but I'm very happy with what I achieved with no more than a SAK and a couple hours on lunchbreaks at work. I'll definately be having another go in future with a bigger piece of hazel. Your pics and steps made it easy to create a proper moody woodspirit, exactly what I want in a tutorial! Cheers

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
thanks chad and i have seen your carving it really is very good, you should post up your work for others to see.
i think theres a definite family resemblance too! :D real glad my efforts inspired you to give it a go.

woodowl

Dec 29, 2011
Glamorgan
good for you woodowl, post a few up and share your work, we can all learn from different techniques :)

Sorry Woodspirits but the only photos I took were for the company I was working for and never kept any back for myself,wish I had now. I might have a go at some new ones with some plum logs I have seasoning. Keep up the great work.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Forgot to post some pics of my first, this was done with a Victorinox only;

Photo0272.jpg

Photo0270.jpg

I've done some bigger ones since and they've turned out way better. Those little Draper carving tools really do help, thanks again Steve. I'll get pictures up of a bigger one when I get a chance. Just need to start developing my own style now. Skulls might be cool as well as totum pole type carvings. These really are a fun way to spend a couple hours when sat around with no schedule...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE