Article: My take on a woodspirit carving tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
great stuff chad, thanks for posting :) hard to believe you achieved that with just a folder credit to you, hard work! yes im sure you will develop your own style just have to keep carving away :D

steve

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I saw Chads under construction, he looked fiiiiine as he came to life in the woods! Is it the same one or are you populating Middle England with these fierce fellas?!

I spent a lovely Easter Sunday topping my ash staff with one, he's better than my first attempt which was waaaay too small but kinda funky, but I'm still not carving deep enough I reckon... I shall keep trying!
552802_3324194178123_1066438695_3112921_1278961556_n.jpg

Just to remind myself that I am moving forward!!!
302173_2357996503785_1066438695_2683150_1162888544_n.jpg

Last edited:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one Sally, they really are a great way to while away an afternoon. The one I did at RC was just a quick one, I never took any pics of it and left it with Adam. I've done a few now and the bigger ones really are better for getting some detail in. Perhaps at the next NW we should do some more of these to save trampling the bluebells into oblivion and learn from the master himself. What do you reckon Sally and Steve? You up for it?

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
....Perhaps at the next NW we should do some more of these to save trampling the bluebells into oblivion and learn from the master himself. What do you reckon Sally and Steve? You up for it?
I'll bring ma carving tools, they're sweet old things and not too precious for a woodland :) Twould be interesting to try a coupla things with some advice from the master! Next knifey project will be a whittling necker (prob a bit like Cowboys?) I think, so it'll help to chat about the design and a bit of carving is always fun, really looking fwd to Apr meet :)

ps Lets see some of the big ones, Chad!!

Last edited:

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hi, glad sally and you chad are still keen on whittling woodspirits :)

be happy to bring in a bit of kit to hopefully help you with a few pointers at the april meet? its been a while since i did one due to a workshop move so id better sharpen and shape up then! :D

sal that last one is looking real good too.

steve

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Revisiting this thread, I'd forgotton what a huuuuge help those evocative and clear pictures are :) You're a thoughtful teacher, even a subliminal 'now-its-time-to-get-a-brew' message in there ;)

well I've finished the woodspirit, think I went too strong with the oak stain though. Tried to put photo on but can't for the life of me understand the instructions. WELL I am gettin on a bit. :confused:

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
well I've finished the woodspirit, think I went too strong with the oak stain though. Tried to put photo on but can't for the life of me understand the instructions. WELL I am gettin on a bit. :confused:

how you doing :) glad this may have been some help. if you put a bit too much stain on all is not lost :) just sand it down again and what you cant get will help to 'lift' the carving. as for posting pictures, try this useful link :) http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77526

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE