Article: How To.... Build a Finnish/Swedish Candle - A Comparison - Part 3

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I cannot say I'm supprised that the fluffy core birch burned so quickly, in your part 2 write up it was solid wasn't it ? Like it though. Solid core with wedges, green cordage beneath and no tinder. I have been informed of the wonders of birch bark, but any bark will easily burn, so de bark the birch and use that for kindling in Part 4.

Nice!

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Thanks for all the positive feedback folks.

All these candles are fascinating to me and I love to try them out. There are so many different variations and well worth exploring.

I cannot say I'm supprised that the fluffy core birch burned so quickly, in your part 2 write up it was solid wasn't it ? Like it though. Solid core with wedges, green cordage beneath and no tinder. I have been informed of the wonders of birch bark, but any bark will easily burn, so de bark the birch and use that for kindling in Part 4.

Nice!

The base of the candle in Part 2 was solid (I jammed in a pointed pole) but the rest was all dry tinders, some cotton wool, Vaseline and spruce pitch as the logs were so wet.

I will be looking at using birch bark in Part 6 of this series (the Raappanan tuli candle). Parts 4 & 5 I have already written and cover Fire Face candles and Log Rocket stoves. Power tools were used in Parts 4 & 5 so not what you would call truly bushcrafty but a good experiment none the less.

I like the idea of a wedged candle with different wood types just to see how it works.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated as I would like to have online in one place as many different candle types documented and design steps laid out for folk to try out.

I am mulling over running a class on one or two of these candles at next years Moot if anybody would be interested.

Cheers

George

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
actually I didn't write part of my comment very clearly at all. The point I thought was the bark would ignite and burn through the cordage, would debarking it help the binding survive ?

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Got you.

De-barking the poles I imagine would help the cordage last longer, especially if everything was bone dry.

The trick is to keep the cordage wrap well below the initial burn area and use at least two separate cordage wraps in case one does burn through then the other will still hold it all together.

Cheers

George

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'm hoping to experiment with these in Norway in early 2014. I'm hoping to find a suitable candle that won't sink into the snow/ice and will be short enough to allow me to suspend a large pot above the flames. I'm sure they will be much more fuel efficient than the more common 'white man' fire.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I'm hoping to experiment with these in Norway in early 2014. I'm hoping to find a suitable candle that won't sink into the snow/ice and will be short enough to allow me to suspend a large pot above the flames. I'm sure they will be much more fuel efficient than the more common 'white man' fire.

And you can have one to burn yer cacks

Regards Dave (caps lock )
@mouseinthewood

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire

A top down fire is what you want for snow. It will all be down to what type of wood is available when it comes to either splitting a log or bundling some poles together.

A good bottom up candle though is the Raappanan tuli. It is very simple to construct and if you can sit it on something will not take long to produce. I have written a blog post on this using a long log and will post it here eventually. If you use a shorter log that can support itself then it will be a good option to try. This is a good link showing the stove in action Raappanan tuli.

Cheers

George

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I really enjoyed the series, really great stuff! Have tried one similar to the birch set up, shall be trying them all If I can! Thanks for sharing! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE