Article: Eco Vessel: Aqua Vessel Ultra Lite

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
How sturdy is the bottle? how many litres average does it clean and how many actual do you reckon you got from it? can you replace the filter?

Cheers chaps,

Also this doesnt look much like a casstrom:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The bottle is plenty strong, think nalgeneish strong, it is rated for 100 gallons use (work it out in litres yourself - I hate maths and maths hates me), I have yet to get past 20 refills, there is no replacement filter listed on the swebsite. :)
I think Tony has hit a gremlin with the title....

What worries me is if they do bring out a replacement filter, will it be cost effective. I wouldn't want to find that the replacement filters were more expensive than the whole unit combined. That wouldn't be very ecologically sound as a lot of people would just bin the last one and buy a new bottle, although with no filter listed that is what would happen anyway.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am afraid that none of the tech info I was supplied with give the Micron size.
If you read the review it does mention that it is activated carbon - from coconuts.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I have found another review at:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/rev...Ultra Lite Bottle/Test Report by Edwin Morse/

In the section on 'Performance in the field', second para it says:

About two weeks after my Initial Report I received an email from Carly Miller of Eco Vessel:
"I read your Initial Review of the Aqua Vessel Ultra Lite. Glad the product seems to be working well for you. Just to let you know, our filter filters 3 microns/4 logs. The filter reduces 99.9% of the Giardia and Crypto. It meets and exceeds NFC standards 42."

Could someone explain in simpleton terms what dangerous organisms etc this would be too coarse to filter out?/does this info on filter size have any significant effect on its usefulness etc?

To partly answer my own questions......

... in the other article in the 'long term review' section it says, re tapeworm cysts:

'The Ranger recommended a filter good down to 0.3 microns or less. The answer both eliminated using my Steripen and using the Eco Vessel bottle as a filter bottle.'

This seems to mean that (coupled with the other info in the two articles) that the Eco Vessel is ok for most things apart from tapeworm cysts. So I guess you need to take a view on how risky that is in the UK.

Unless the use of an additional chemical purification tablet - as suggested by JF - removed that risk as well(??I don't know if it does)

Last edited:

RebeccaHowards1

Apr 19, 2013
Shrewsburt
Hello! This is a very good idea. Carbon filtration should be used not only in this case. I would like to see this kind of..activity in other areas too. Protecting ourself and the environment should be a priority for all of us :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE