Article: Dutch town under attack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
There must be some of you Bushcrafters over there that can safely construct a net, a trap and capture this lovely creature, although you're going to have to wait for that special permission. It's interesting that it's not automatically given if people are in danger and have been injured already...

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
She's a real beauty! with a six foot wingspan you'd need to be a very experienced trapper to catch a creature like this without injuring it, I would think.

Let's hope this is resolved in the best way possible for all concerned, not least the spectacular bird.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
quote from article -- ''Either the owl was reared in captivity and released into the wild and now associates humans with food — meaning it's not really 'attacking' people.' "

Perhaps all that’s needed to catch it is a glove and a piece of meat --- Years ago I reared a crow and despite being left totally free it stayed around the garden, it liked to sit on top of my head (not shoulder as often portrayed) and would often fly towards people to do the same, they always had the same reaction screaming and waving at it to go away and complained that it was ''attacking'' them :rofl: all it actually wanted to do was sit on their heads the same way it used to sit on mine, that crow became quite well known in the area :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
So this is just a case of it having sharper claws and being much bigger, the injuries are purely accidental because it's only removing chunks of people because it's trying to settle on their heads and they're not obliging

i'm not an expert, but the wkikipedia article informs me that egg-laying begins in late winter. i remember that one summer more then 15 years ago a female common buzzard flew (mock) attacks against me when i came too close to her nest and in 2004 i encountered a similiar case with another buzzard during i a bike tour where joggers were asked on flyers to choose another route... ---so i wonder if a nest with eggs/ young ones might be the reason?!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
So this is just a case of it having sharper claws and being much bigger, the injuries are purely accidental because it's only removing chunks of people because it's trying to settle on their heads and they're not obliging

that’s why I suggested a glove :rolleyes: some birds (even mistle thrushes) will mob you when near their nest but the injuries may well be accidental if the bird is captive raised and associates people with food. Perhaps someone should just try sticking out a piece of meat on a gloved hand then they will soon find if it is mobbing or after food.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For bird-banding population studies, capturing owls, unharmed, is quite straightforward.
I hope that they consider this sort of an approach.
Capture the animal, mark the animal and release it at the point of your choice.

Nov 24, 2015
Greece
i'm not an expert, but the wkikipedia article informs me that egg-laying begins in late winter. i remember that one summer more then 15 years ago a female common buzzard flew (mock) attacks against me when i came too close to her nest and in 2004 i encountered a similiar case with another buzzard during i a bike tour where joggers were asked on flyers to choose another route... ---so i wonder if a nest with eggs/ young ones might be the reason?!

I heard similar stories here in my village of attacks by eagle owls and they were protecting their nests

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE