Article: Are we getting more mosquitos in the UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not heard of any cases as far as the Midlands, but have heard of cases on the south cost. the weather has alway been our biggest barrier with a good cold spell wiping out most of the problem. Interesting article though and certainly pause for thought

Sounds logical but I'm not sure if cold really wipes them out. They survive very well indeed in marshy areas of Alaska and Canada.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have been hammerd by mosy bites(NOT MIDGE, i know the difference) this year, there is a field that used to be a sports pitch over the road from our house, the woodland around it resembles muskeg in that its always damp to wet, it have drainage channels dug into the ground and a ditch all the way round which hasn't dried so far this year, I have one bit currently itching on my calf where i didn't deet when wearing shorts while of on a forage yesterday,

udamiano

On a new journey
Sounds logical but I'm not sure if cold really wipes them out. They survive very well indeed in marshy areas of Alaska and Canada.

very true, but most of these types of environments have long since been drained for agricultural development in the central part of the UK, so their normal refuge from the cold is no longer available. Marsh area maintain a slightly higher temp caused by natural decomposition of the plant material, although it is very slight, it's enough to provide some measure of protection to the larvae over the Winter, and snow itself provides a insulation blanket on the top, protecting from the harsh blizzards and low temperatures.

It is a good point though thank you for pointing it out

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
very true, but most of these types of environments have long since been drained for agricultural development in the central part of the UK, so their normal refuge from the cold is no longer available. Marsh area maintain a slightly higher temp caused by natural decomposition of the plant material, although it is very slight, it's enough to provide some measure of protection to the larvae over the Winter, and snow itself provides a insulation blanket on the top, protecting from the harsh blizzards and low temperatures.

It is a good point though thank you for pointing it out

The marshy areas provide standing water for the larvae. Without standing water they cain't reproduce in cold or hot climate. Although I expect that the marshy areas are only viable where they don't freeze solid over the winter.

udamiano

On a new journey
not much standing water in the Midlands. I don't know if your familiar with the Area ( i see your location is the US) the Mldlands is (was) a highly industrialised part of the Country, so much of the area was given over to manufacturing, and housing, we still have green areas but these are managed, by the local Councils or the Wildlife trust /Forestry Commission, so this provided a unintentional barrier to the Mozzie, as any infestations are destroyed by the local environmental officers, who keep an eye on this sort of thing. and as you say remove their habitat remove the problem

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No. Not especially familiar with the Midlands. I was stationed in the Cotwolds (1985-1989) As I remember though most of the country was either developed or farmed with very little marshy/swampy areas. If that's still true, I expect you're correct and there will be little impact other than an annoyance.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
plenty of standin water in the Midlands ponds,canals puddles on waste ground animal troughs to name but a few. Favourite breeding groundofthe Asian Tiger mozzie is stagmnant water in old tyres. Also how it got spread out of native area.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
plenty of standin water in the Midlands ponds,canals puddles on waste ground animal troughs to name but a few. Favourite breeding groundofthe Asian Tiger mozzie is stagmnant water in old tyres. Also how it got spread out of native area.

The old Tyres would definitely fit the bill. As would the puddles if they are of a semi-permanent nature and protected from breezes.

However the ponds, canals, and animal troughs should be stirred up (animals watering or wading in the ponds, Breeze blowing across the ponds, boats traveling the canals, etc,) and thus not really get stagnant enough.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Quote; NHS Direct statistics show 9,061 calls in England complaining of bites and stings Really? That just sounds wrong to me! I've never rung NHS Direct for anything, I can't fathom why someone would ring about a mosquito bite...

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Quote; NHS Direct statistics show 9,061 calls in England complaining of bites and stings Really? That just sounds wrong to me! I've never rung NHS Direct for anything, I can't fathom why someone would ring about a mosquito bite...

It's probably the same people who think all of the countryside should look tidy, with neat verges and not a grass blade out of place. Sort of "I was bitten by a mosquito! Its an outrage! Who do I sue?"

More seriously, some people may have serious reactions to insect bites, through allergies and so on, and may actually require treatment after a mozzie bite, even if all it does to other people is make them itch for a day or two.

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
I,ve noticed an increase in all our biting insects this year ,for first time I can remember i,ve even had midges in our house biting me (in warm weather we sit with front door open ) and horse flies seem to be everywhere .:confused:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Is that the whole quote? If so it's unclear if they were just mosquito bite or maybe bee/wasp stings and spider bites as well.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Is that the whole quote? If so it's unclear if they were just mosquito bite or maybe bee/wasp stings and spider bites as well.

I just took it from the above article so I'm not too sure, let's hope it includes some bee stings and spider bites as well!

BOD

Your big problem is likely to be dengue as the mosquito and the eggs of Aedes albopictus apparently can tolerate sub-zero conditions and the eggs dos not need to be in water but near water and can live in Switzerland.

Once it is established theres not much you can do even Singapore with its wealth, small size and efficeiency has failed to eradicate dengue as the mosquitos have adapted to live where we live.

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
Your big problem is likely to be dengue as the mosquito and the eggs of Aedes albopictus apparently can tolerate sub-zero conditions and the eggs dos not need to be in water but near water and can live in Switzerland.

What does Switzerland have to with anything? Lots of things live in Switzerland. It has a very nice climate, which is attractive to mosquitoes, wasps, butterflies, moths and bankers. In summer it's a lot warmer there than it is here. I spent all my summers there as a kid and love the place. I never came across many mozzys or midges though, primarily I think because there was very little stagnant water. Lot of horse flies though!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What does Switzerland have to with anything? Lots of things live in Switzerland. It has a very nice climate, which is attractive to mosquitoes, wasps, butterflies, moths and bankers. In summer it's a lot warmer there than it is here. I spent all my summers there as a kid and love the place. I never came across many mozzys or midges though, primarily I think because there was very little stagnant water. Lot of horse flies though!

I don't think he was referring to the Summer climate. Rather this particular species ability to adapt to to survive colder Winters (hibernation abilities) and drier (no standing water required) areas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE