Article: 5.11 Kodiak Trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
They look really appealing. Are they very heavy - in weight and to wear? I've got some Stryke pants which are very comfortable but not best friends with sparks and popping fires so I am on the look out for something of a similar cut 'n' fit that will cope better. Will these do the job?

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Good review. I've only recently come across 5.11 and their range, but I am liking what I've managed to find so far!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I bought a pair of these on the back of the review. I like the fabric but, ultimately, find them incredibly frustrating because of the inordinate number of pockets. They are everywhere: on the legs, secondary ones behind others - the whole thing is utterly baffling and an example of massive overkill. If you fill the pockets with stuff you would (a) not need a rucksack and (b) wouldn't be able to keep the damn trousers up.

They are very nicely made and pleasingly loose in their cut but, frankly, the number and distribution of the pockets make them somewhat ludicrous. I also have a pair of the Fjallraven Number trousers which have two front pockets, one back pocket and one thigh pocket; they are very well-made in a durable fabric as well. Because of this simplicity, they get worn; my 5.11 Kodiak jobs just take up room in the wardrobe.

I'm sure that they may well suit some folk but I cannot include myself in that list.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I find the pockets quite useful for organising small stuff - no keys busting phone screens, my coins do not get caught up in my hanky, pocket knife quick to find etc etc
A methodical mind is an asset if you have lots of pockets... :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I find the pockets quite useful for organising small stuff - no keys busting phone screens, my coins do not get caught up in my hanky, pocket knife quick to find etc etc
A methodical mind is an asset if you have lots of pockets... :)

I quite agree that making best use of pocket does require a methodical mind. But, given that I only carry my keys (front right), my SAK (front left) and a lighter (back), why do I need a plethora of pockets? Last time I wore them, with my modest 'pocket kit' distributed as mentioned, I found myself being able to feel the things through the fabric but not have access to them. It wasn't the end of the world and, eventually, I'm sure I would get used to the double stacked pocket arrangement at both front and back of these trousers, but it was mildly annoying to find myself shuffling from pocket to pocket, trying to access my few essentials.

I have a similar grievance with a lot of the Fjallraven range of trousers where pockets appear in the most unlikely of places. The exception to that rule are their Numbers trousers which, for simple-minded, addle-brained confuseniks like me work just brilliantly. I still cannot quite work out how anyone could utilise all the pockets in a pair of Kodiaks without them either falling down because of the weight or the wearer being unable to move because of the clobber being carried.

In response to the other enquiry, being cotton, they would absorb a fair amount of water and, having taken them through a wash cycle, they do take a while to dry when hanging up on a line or airer. So I would say not the best choice for the damp; they are, however, beautifully made, comfortably cut and really pleasant on, if you can navigate the pockets!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I quite agree that making best use of pocket does require a methodical mind. But, given that I only carry my keys (front right), my SAK (front left) and a lighter (back), why do I need a plethora of pockets? Last time I wore them, with my modest 'pocket kit' distributed as mentioned, I found myself being able to feel the things through the fabric but not have access to them. It wasn't the end of the world and, eventually, I'm sure I would get used to the double stacked pocket arrangement at both front and back of these trousers, but it was mildly annoying to find myself shuffling from pocket to pocket, trying to access my few essentials.

I have a similar grievance with a lot of the Fjallraven range of trousers where pockets appear in the most unlikely of places. The exception to that rule are their Numbers trousers which, for simple-minded, addle-brained confuseniks like me work just brilliantly. I still cannot quite work out how anyone could utilise all the pockets in a pair of Kodiaks without them either falling down because of the weight or the wearer being unable to move because of the clobber being carried.

In response to the other enquiry, being cotton, they would absorb a fair amount of water and, having taken them through a wash cycle, they do take a while to dry when hanging up on a line or airer. So I would say not the best choice for the damp; they are, however, beautifully made, comfortably cut and really pleasant on, if you can navigate the pockets!

Wear braces....
I agree, once wet the trousers do take a while to dry ... which is why I carry overtrousers for really heavy rain. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE