Army Vapalux Lanterns

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have the chance to buy some ex British Army Vapalux lanterns

These are pressure lanterns running on paraffin, one fill will burn for 10+ hours. High light output and a good heat output as a bonus

These are ex army stock, so not new, but all will be serviced and with new mantle. UK price delivered will be around £30

I'm not asking for firm orders here, I just want to see if there is any interest before I buy any more

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I remember those! when the pressure dropped they burst into flames! Not safe indoors but fine outside. Some were fitted with large shades to help with preventing the flameouts burning what they were hanging from.
Swyn.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
swyn said:
I remember those! when the pressure dropped they burst into flames! Not safe indoors but fine outside. Some were fitted with large shades to help with preventing the flameouts burning what they were hanging from.
Swyn.
Aaah in that case no advantage over my current wick oil lamps for inddors and Coleman for outdoors so I'll pass ta!

Cheers for the info though!

Red

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I saw an old style paraffin storm lantern in a odds & sods shop today for £9.95 and it was brand new. It is one of those that has a wick.

Do any of you know what I am talking about and are they any good?

Cheers..:D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think you mean a "Hurricane Lantern" Greg.

Some are good, some are poorly made - Look for good heavy metal etc. Have a shufti in garden centres and e-bay too. They are widely available. A useful bit of kit though - I have a couple for outdoor use

Red

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
British Red said:
Aaah in that case no advantage over my current wick oil lamps for inddors and Coleman for outdoors so I'll pass ta!

Cheers for the info though!

Red

One big advantage red is that you would only need one type of fuel

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Greg said:
Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I saw an old style paraffin storm lantern in a odds & sods shop today for £9.95 and it was brand new. It is one of those that has a wick.

Do any of you know what I am talking about and are they any good?

Cheers..:D

Hurricane lamps, very good, much lower light output though. Shop around, you can get them new for £1.99 each, don't pay a tenner for one

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
swyn said:
Swyn.

Never known that happen to be honest, just asked a couple of lamp collectors about it and they've never come across it I'm going to post the same question on a Dutch site I use, see if any of the Europian lads have come across this :confused:

The shade is what is says, a shade, or down reflector, its not there to stop flames

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
bikething said:
Rik, got any pictures, or a link to some??

cheers
Steve

I'll ask, to tell the truth, they are coming off a collector I know, who needs to cut down his 300+ lamp collection, his wife is moaning a bit

I think they will all have new vapourisers, which is worth £12 on its own.

If there is interest, I'll email you the guys email address and you can contact him direct; I vouch for the man, he is one of the honest guys

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I see you are sceptical about my post here on the flame outs. I see a similar lantern in your avatar rik_uk3. These are pressure lanterns with a mantle. I have had several experiences with flameouts.(our ones had an enamelled tin shade) Truly! If the pressure is allowed to go right down it happens, rare I know, but fact.

On a busy trip up the London river some years ago we had three do just that on three separate occasions as none of us were able to keep an eye on the lamps. Along with putting ordinary coal onto the fire just as we got to Tower bridge we must have looked like a fire ship!
If you are camping or relying on the lamp for illumunation there is rarely an opportunity for this neglect as you tend to them, so folks never see it happen.

Please do not take this as a criticism on the lamps quality as I know they are good and useful to have around. The best reason is that they run on Kero or paraffin (28 sec oil) not that fernickerty Coleman fuel.

I am just making an observation that perhaps not many people are aware of!
Swyn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE