army stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 9, 2015
tamworth
As you are the people in the know i thought to ask here 1st. When my grandad past i was left all his army belongings from all his ww2 medals to a german pistol!!!!!! The later was handed to the police as my mother wouldnt allow it lol god did i try been a young boy. I donated his gurka to the gurkas as they did a lot when he past. But i have a stove and from what iv seen its an army no2 stove but im confused with the date iv seen online, net says 1987 but it was in the kit bag with his gear from ww2 a little confused is it another model no or did he just buy it and put it in the bag. Will get some pics tomorrow and give it a clean and try it anyway.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Ww2 era it may refer to the "field cooker portable No2" as opposed to the 80s one. Will be interested to see the kit! Shame you didn't have that pistol deact. Not only valuble but a nice display item

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
My thoughts as well Mick.... handing in the pistol to the police is admirable, but you could have took it to a gunsmith and ensured it was a legal possession, kept it for a keepsake or sold it for a bloody fortune!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
My thoughts as well Mick.... handing in the pistol to the police is admirable, but you could have took it to a gunsmith and ensured it was a legal possession, kept it for a keepsake or sold it for a bloody fortune!

Would have had to have been professionally deactivated because I can bet you it wasn't an obsolete caliber. Most likely 9mm parabellum. Great keepsake still though as you say dewi

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Gunsmith would have made it legal Mick... but valuable?! Blimey, have you seen the price they're going for at the minute? Even those that have been defaced or damaged are fetching a penny or two.

As a keepsake though, you can't put a value on that... its your history, where you've come from... the people who walked the line so you could be here... can't get anything better than that.

I have my great grandfathers medal... treasure it and it will pass on to my sons and beyond I hope.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Gunsmith would have made it legal Mick... but valuable?! Blimey, have you seen the price they're going for at the minute? Even those that have been defaced or damaged are fetching a penny or two.

As a keepsake though, you can't put a value on that... its your history, where you've come from... the people who walked the line so you could be here... can't get anything better than that.

I have my great grandfathers medal... treasure it and it will pass on to my sons and beyond I hope.

My mistake thought they had to be sent to the proof house for issuing deactivation certs.
+1 on the family history though I have some of my grandads army memrobilia and wouldn't part with it for money unless it was going to a museum or the like. Interesting the stories these things tell and history imo doesn't actually belong to anyone, it's in trust for those that come after us

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Grandads medals are with his regiment, least I hope they still are, which is probably what he would have wanted... he didn't want the things in the first place... just doing his job as far as he was concerned.

Back to this stove... I'm drawing a blank on searches.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Hurlock stoves where occasionally issued iirc and undoubtedly did a number 2

Sep 9, 2015
tamworth
I was a young lad back early teens just, i think it scared my mom half to death at the time. Fast forward 20 years owning a number of shotguns and rifles if only i new then what i new now !!!!
I will get pics today sorted. Reason for thinking about the cooker last night was only due to the parade invite i had in the post for poppy day. My kids no all about him and what he and his conrads did for us as the medals are on display in the house.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Somethin similar to this?

attachment.php

(pic from here ~ http://www.handhsurplus.co.uk/produ...ble-no2-camping-petrol-gasoline-stove-burner/

There were quite a few modifications over the years. The original version dates back to the Second World War. Some don't have the cut out on the front plate ~ having it makes accessing fuel control so much easier. Late versions had a different burner head and valve control was through a hole on the right side of the housing (similar to the Optimus 8, Primus 111 etc).

(Based on personal opinion) It's immensely enjoyable to use ~ it's loud, it's heavy, it's HUGELY inefficient, and it'll probably bring a smile to your face :D

(You'll likely be told that the No.12 is a better cooker unit ~ but does it beat having Granddad's stove?)

Attachments

• DSCN4653.jpg
    DSCN4653.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 68

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE