Army Rations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
Andy said:
how to make a veggi rat pack

take one tin of baked beans with veggi sosuage at a cost of 50p
remove can and place in cool state of the art foil packet
resell for £3.00

the world hates veggies

Don't be daft.

There was less than a whole tin of beans in it... :rolleyes:

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
The thing to remember about 24 hour rat packs is that they are made with the starving squaddie in mind , not the inquisitive civvy !

When I first joined the mob ( swing that lamp someone can you ? ) rat packs were dehydrated affairs or tinned stuff . Real pain in the bum to clean afterwards. A mate of mine who toured in Bosnia tells me of the time some yanks came to stay and foolishly left a full case of MRE's unguarded . Needless to say it was empty in the morning

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
The Irish ones are good but not that easy to come by as a civi unless you known someone I have found. It was irish stew when I was in the FCA(Irish TA) with one peice of meat if you were lucky. They are better now as are most things are in our defence forces. It was only ten years ago and we still used the Enfield in my company all do the FN came in towards the end of my 3 years.

James

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
A lot of the Irish personal kit would be rated amonst the best in the world these days. My favourite outdoor trousers are my Irish DPM combats, unfortunately I wont wear them at the same time as the smock (image problem) 'cos it's great as well. Arkitis designed but manufactured by a Belgian contactor. Great kit. The "Gore-tex" (actually stuff called Cyclone) gear is also extremely good, far superior to the British issue, almost indeed on par with one of the better civvy manufacturers, it's plain green too, bar for a badge on the jacket. The "Norgie" style top is also worthy of mention.

Unfortunately for the most part it's like finding hen's teeth or unless you're into a little bribery and corruption.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Not much of a good Idea to were down here either you can be arrest as it's like wearing a Garda uniform. But I have heard they are good. I am sure in a while they well sell of surplus at reasonable price but I am not holding my breath.

I believe the issue sleeping bag at least the Rangers ones are made by Nanok but most of the guys I know us snugpak. All off topic sorry.

James

B

bombadil

What!!!.......did sombody mention biscuits browns!?!?!?! :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:
Maybe I'm the biggest freak in the bunch but I flippin LOVE 'EM!! Between them and oatmeal blocks you need nothing else.
Where can I get me a life supply?? There must be a tonne of the things in every squaddies garden shed.
Infomation pliz!?! :naughty:

Ravenn

Jan 13, 2005
Central, Ky,USA
I spent some time in Viet Nam in another lifetime. C-rations were the issue for field rations. There will always be mixed reviews about them. Some I liked, some you couldn't put enough tobasco sauce, or Derry's meat sauce to make them palatable. The Tobacso company come up with a "Charlie Ration Cookbook" using a variety of meal mixing for squad/gun section use.
Chocolate, Peanut butter ,crackers and cheese raated up there. Ham and eggs sure weren't lime Mom's Turkey ala king, boned chicken were tops. Once lubed an M-2 maching gun with the pork patties. Thing never rusted through the monsoons of '69 :shock:
Lucky us to have the Australians close to trade with :super:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
bombadil said:
What!!!.......did sombody mention biscuits browns!?!?!?! :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:
Maybe I'm the biggest freak in the bunch but I flippin LOVE 'EM!! Between them and oatmeal blocks you need nothing else.

I like BB too. :biggthump Not so sure about the oatmeal block - do you eat it as a biscuit or make it into some kinda porridge? (I've asked several squaddies but they all said they just chucked it! :eek:):)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Porridge is always a good bet with those things. I've used the oatmeal block to make an oat stuffing for pheasant... twas ok but nothing to write home about. I think maybe add to some stock, a few foraged fruits/berries would have been alot better.... Stock is a must actually as the oatmeal absorbed all the liquid and left the meat very dry :-(

Ed

jakunen

Native
Ok, I can't resist it any longer...I've just got to jump in on this thread!!!I used to quite enjoy the old rat paks. The chicken in brown sauce, the tinned apple pudding, the Spangles! God yes! I remember those!!!

But I HATEDthepilchards. I couldn't eat anythign liek that for years after...

Kath, the oatmeal blocks were great if you put apricot jam and a slice of cheddar from the 10 man paks on them.
I can remember many a happy night sitting at some old drafty railway station waiting for the last or first train eating that.

And we used to have fights, and I DO mean fights, over the apple & apricot flakes (still got a pack somewhere).

We did swap occasionally with troops from other countries, and reckon we always got the worst end of the deal.

MREs - Meal Really inEdible. The latest ones aren't too bad. Mind you I was suffering flu at the time so couldn't taste anything.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
jakunen said:
And we used to have fights, and I DO mean fights, over the apple & apricot flakes (still got a pack somewhere).

How much to buy them off you then? ? ? They were the ONLY reason to eat rat packs at one point! ! ! :rolmao: mmmmmmmm...yummy yum!!!!

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Haven’t really got any good to say about rat packs.
Six months on rat packs solid killed off any chance of me ever having them by choice again.
For me it always depended on how hungry you were to how nice biscuits brown tasted. :yuck:

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
Jakunen, I remember having to dispose of tins of pilchards on the instructions of some RAF bigwig, they'd gone a bit iffy apparently

Having said that I know where we buried them after drilling holes in the tins so maybe we could arrange some sort of gathering of the pilchard haters :yikes:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
mercury said:
Jakunen, I remember having to dispose of tins of pilchards on the instructions of some RAF bigwig, they'd gone a bit iffy apparently

Having said that I know where we buried them after drilling holes in the tins so maybe we could arrange some sort of gathering of the pilchard haters :yikes:

In Batus we would put old, sweated, tins of Pilchards int he air filtration systems of 432 just before hand over to the next battle group - first NBC attack and ............ :rolmao: Cruel but bloody funny!

B

bombadil

Kath said:
I like BB too. :biggthump Not so sure about the oatmeal block - do you eat it as a biscuit or make it into some kinda porridge? (I've asked several squaddies but they all said they just chucked it! :eek:):)

Always ate the oatmeal block as a biscuit. A lot like the way I imagine the elfin bread that the hobbits use in Lord of the rings.....lightweight, tasty and incredibly sustaining... :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE