Army Rations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
I would have stuck this post under luvly grub but it just aint.

Friend of mine sourced about ten boxes of British Army Rations, and I must say they are the foulest substitutes for meals I've ever tasted.

About the best item in them is the hot chocolate :p

Are the civilian alternatives better tasting before I invest?

I picked up an American version and they weren't too bad!

Do you guys just make up your own?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
The Norwegian one should be good they say. But very expensive. £15 per ration or so. :shock: You know what they say about the american: MRE - Meals Rejected by Ethiopians.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
I don't think they're too bad.

The chocolate pudding is ace! And the hot chocolate is awesome!! (Great comfort food when you're cold and tired! :biggthump)

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I dont know what rations your friend souced but I personally think Brit rations to be the best in the world - far superior to American ones. In fact in every field of operations I have ever been in foriegn troops always want to swap our rations for theirs.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Tomtom

You know I'm not sure,

The chocolate bar is white and the chewing gum seems like its got damp.

Maybe I'm too fussy but I had the Lancashire hotpot and an instant white tea and they didn't do it for me.

Definately not as good as Kath's fresh baked bread :wink:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
you have to remember, although said to be ther best rations available they do cut corners, they have to because of the massive production costs.

last time i bought a an army ration it was foul, not the way i remember them at all(tinned version).

it's easy to (as i have) buy the "box of delights" almost excited with anticipation of the tasty contents, there is nothing better to have instant food packaged neatly ready to eat, but after many years of trying different ideas.

my conclusion has to be this.

they are not that great.

a ten minute down the super market will get you a far more healthy, filling, and tasty ration with your own preferances!

next problem is how to fit your delicious food it in your bag......but that's another story!

a worthwhile excersize is to use an army ration box as a space template for 24 hours worth of food, the object to have loads of space left over, otherwise you simply won't be able to carry more than a few days food!

i kept a box (new UK foil pack version)it's :

4" x 8" x 7.5".

as i say before spending your money, take a look around for a cheaper, tastier, lighter, and heathier option. :biggthump

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Army rations sound really over priced at £10 for a one day supply. If you go to a shop that sells loose dried foods you could get something almost as convenient, but healthier and way cheaper. Zip lock bags of dried onions, mushrooms, nuts and things mixed with cous cous or noodles will make food as instant as a pot noodle, and light to carry!

leon-1

Gary said:
I dont know what rations your friend souced but I personally think Brit rations to be the best in the world - far superior to American ones. In fact in every field of operations I have ever been in foriegn troops always want to swap our rations for theirs.

As Gary knows the british army ration pack changed in or around the year 1988, the boil in the bag rations that we were using from then through to 1999 were superb, as Kath mentioned they have a reasonable amount of comfort food.

In a normal ration pack there are a number of boil in the bags (which if bought seperately cost about £5 each) so the cost is actually very good when you take into account the sundries pack and buiscuits :)

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I have never understood the attraction for MREs and a goodly number of the civilian freeze dried efforts. Bushcrafting should be a sensuous experience rivaling a visit to the L'Hermitage Museum or smelling incense and hearing prayer in some unintelligable, but musical language with light streaming down through stained glass windows or multi coloured prayer flags.If I was scaling Annapurna in a blizzard a MRE makes sense. If I am in my home ( nature) trying to unknot my soul from all the sillyness under a basha with the stars above then food should be equally special. There are to many very grim looking ultralightwieght hikers or people with some SCHEDULE or AGENDA out there. GOOD food can be put together with minimum effort and oftentimes a lot less packaging to deal with. Somebody pass the champagne :chill:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
leon-1 said:
As Gary knows the british army ration pack changed in or around the year 1988, the boil in the bag rations that we were using from then through to 1999 were superb, as Kath mentioned they have a reasonable amount of comfort food.

In a normal ration pack there are a number of boil in the bags (which if bought seperately cost about £5 each) so the cost is actually very good when you take into account the sundries pack and buiscuits :)

Totally agree Mate!!

£10 for a ration pack is actually quite a good price, IMO, as Leon says you get three biol in a bag meals and a excellent beverage pack (I agree the new instant white tea isnt the most exciting of things but try the German tea substitute and you'll think it ok) - Having said that some of the old tinned compo was lovely, steak and kidney pudding.........words defy me.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
allenko,

Not sure which rations you got mate but I've never had white chocolate unless it's got too hot and gone 'funny', I've been eating them for 13 years on and off and they have improved a lot. The beverage pack is pretty good apart from the instant tea which is pretty mingin, my favorite is the meat balls with pasta, an unofficial currency on exercise.

Brian

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
I agree with Gary, The British 24 hour Rat pack is still regarded as the best in the business, I personally think they are excellant value for money and when I'm out spending a weekend in the mountains they last me more or less the full outing. They are also used by a lot of civilian companies on expeditions and the like all over the world.

Bacon/Beans, Lancashire hot pot and Treacle pud are my favs and I also like the Tea, saying that, theres nothing in them I don't like. :lol:

Chris

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
MagiKelly said:
I like them. The hankies, matches etc are handy and the boil in the bag meals as good as the commercial alternatives. I also have to confess that I like the white tea, however, the jury is still out on the biscuits, brown.

John, try licking (yes licking) the surface of a biscuit brown and sprinkling it with beef stock - makes a beef flavoured crisp bread type thing - lovely!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
So, everything comes in individual bags (foil) that you just boil up etc...

Isn't that a little wasteful on the environment, I have used the US ones and thought they were great, very tasty... these were 6 months old so I don't know if they had changed from the grim ones you all mention. but Still, loads of plastic and foil covered bags for everything, I swear, half the weight of the MRE was plastic.

I now stick to the wayfearer foods or fresh foods if i'm out and about, I don't care much for deserts or starters or dodgy coffee/tea/chocolate or biscuts and I get rid of 1 layer of bag before I take them outside.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
MagiKelly said:
I see where you are coming from but could the same not be said for the cardboard the box is made of?

Possibly, indeed it might even have the same side effect too - Biscuits AB are also known as Biscuits Anal Blocking by squaddies - still it saves on the loo roll, roll colts foot leaves or whatever .................

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Gary said:
Possibly, indeed it might even have the same side effect too - Biscuits AB are also known as Biscuits Anal Blocking by squaddies - still it saves on the loo roll, roll colts foot leaves or whatever .................
You can make your own Biscuits Brown :wink: here is a nice recipe I found on the wonderfully names web site:

www.biscuitsbrown.com

Just to give you nightmares a nice photo of what they actually are. So appetising :eek:):

bicciessm.jpg

And now for a Batch of Biscuits Brown

Prep and cook time:None, just rip the packet open before the next 'Stand To'
Serves:to constipate you for at least four days.

Ingredients
500g bromide
300g cement
250g sand
grated rind of 1 pineapple
1 small pebble, polished
3 x 15ml spoons diazipan
few drops pastey brown colouring
15ml spoon gun powder
5ml spoon 'decomposition' essence
a little airfix glue
125g melted masonry drill bits.

Method
Sift the sand into a bowl and rub in the cement until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the bromide, pineapple rind and airfix glue and mix to a soft dough.

Add the essence of decomposition and the 125g of melted masonry drill bits to the remaining dough and knead lightly until completely inedible.

Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a 5mm thickness. Cut out 6 biscuits with a 5cm square fluted cutter.

Colour the dough with the pastey brown colouring until completely un-appetising. Using 3 x 15ml spoonfuls of diazipan, carefully place the drug evenly into the biscuits, so as to not be noticeable to the troops. Finally, carefully position the small polished pebble somewhere in a biscuit in the hope of breaking some poor sods tooth.

Place the biscuits on greased baking sheets and bake in a preheated oven, 190°C, 375°F, Gas Mark 5, for 15-20 minutes. Five minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove from the oven.

Leave the biscuits to cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

To freeze: Place the biscuits in a green foil wrapper, and then send a load of unwitting individuals out into the countryside with only your biscuits to live on. N.B. To freeze completely, send the same people out again in the bloody winter!
source: http://www.biscuitsbrown.com/biscuitsbrown_recipe/biscuitsbrown_recipe.php

:eek:): :eek:):

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I thought the boil-in-the-bag rations were great. Much better than the older tinned compo.
If you think the new rations are bad, you should try eating in an Infantry Battalion's cookhouse.... :yuck:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE