Army goretex socks, anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Anyone used any of the army issue (surplus) waterproof and breathable socks?

Are then any good?

Also, which are better the boot liner or sock style?

Thanks

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
yup, socks as sleeping bag socks, I find they make my feet far to hot for any kind of walking, but they are great for nipping out of the bag for a night time wee:)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Definitely go for the sock version rather than the older (green and non stretchy) boot liner style. The latest are made by sealskin and are probably slightly better than the slightly older black ones with the white lining (which i've used in a limited way with no problems)

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Thanks for that.

I'd heard mixed reports about standard seal skin socks, which is why I was wondering about the liner version. So those are not as good?

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
ive used seal skins for cycling and found them to be ok. the only downside is they cannot shift the heat generated very well and you get wet from the inside. would go along with the comment that they would be best as bed socks for emergency trips for a pee :)

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Thanks - yes, the mixed reports I'd read about sealskins were concerning cycling (another interest of mine). I'll go with the black MOD socks. Strange to see MOD gear better than civvy stuff. I always believed it to be the opposite. PBI, if you know what I mean.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Yep I have a pair of the boot liners, wore them out this weekend with sandals, more comfy than boots really and more practical kept me dry and warm. Had a pair of sealskins which leaked from the word go, they went straight back to the manufacturers and I would never buy another pair.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i only used them once (for 2 weeks) the black big ones, they where uncomfortable to wear but did save my feet loads when i fell through a frozen bog on brecon with 2 foot of snow, they worked well for a while but became saturated and leaked after 3 or 4 days, they then just kept the water warm, i was walking between 5 and 25 km a day though with 2-4 hours sleep if i was lucky, and TBH a very tough and testing area, boots soaked 24/7 wearing them for 2 weeks constantly, me feet where in bits...

anyway, never used them since as i was not that impressed...:(

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
i only used them once (for 2 weeks) the black big ones, they where uncomfortable to wear but did save my feet loads when i fell through a frozen bog on brecon with 2 foot of snow, they worked well for a while but became saturated and leaked after 3 or 4 days, they then just kept the water warm, i was walking between 5 and 25 km a day though with 2-4 hours sleep if i was lucky, and TBH a very tough and testing area, boots soaked 24/7 wearing them for 2 weeks constantly, me feet where in bits...

anyway, never used them since as i was not that impressed...:(

I just wear mine in the canoe with my 5.10 boots :eek:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I have a set of both the old green ones and the white lined 'seal skinz' ones. The greens are pretty useless for any sort of walking, the black ones are *OK* but I haven't used for an extended time in the field. As someone else said they make good 'bivvy slippers' when weight is an issue.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Some funny answers here; they are not really meant for wearing when going for a pee
in proper conditions
They are brilliant for using for what they are
I personally had a big problem once in winter when they got river water in over the top and I found they keep water in as well; surprise eh?
answer then is to get them off and get the water out quickly; my feet were freezing
wear wool and don't misuse then they are useful

Last edited:

wedgie

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
gods own county of yorkshire
i have used the old green boot liners when i worked on building sites in the winter. they save my feet from lime burns and lasted for years they cost about £30 at the time.
i have got 2 sets of the sock types great foe on the motor bike for long dist or winter trips
i use the para boot most of the time so then use the socks if i know im out in foul weather for a couple of days the newer mill version is more comfy than the earlier types

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE