Arla Skyr - Heads up.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Has anyone tried Arla Skyr yet? (Pronounced Skee-er) http://www.arla.com/en-gb/our-brands/arla-skyr/

I was in Iceland last year and this local yoghurt fast became my favourite. It is extremely thick - think soft cheese thick. I was quite excited to see that a company has brought it over. All I need now is some brown cheese and I'm sorted.

Not exactly ideal for taking out in the field but well worth a go if you see it in the shop. Blueberry was my favourite flavour in Iceland - though it seems you can't get that here yet. Arla also offer a "Protein" yoghurt which I've tried and tastes the same as the Skyr in Iceland.

Looks as though Asda / Tesco is your best best.

All the best
Andy

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sounds nice Mac. I love yoghurt but hadn't heard of that make. Will keep a beady eye peeled for it next time I sojourn into the city.
One of the best types I've tried is a French one (who's name escapes me at the moment). Comes in a little clay pot which we often keep and use for drink containers of for putting candles in. Will post up the name when I dig out a pot. It's a set yoghurt too so lovely and thick. The honey one is my favourite.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
After being poorly last year this is yet another dairy product my body will reject. I wish I could try it as i am a long time lover of cheeses and yoghurts.
Cheese and honey are a great combo, possibly better than yoghurt and honey but a close call.:)

Rob.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
That's a real shame Rob, I'm sorry to hear that.

Please do post the name up Goatboy. I'd be interested to try that out.

All the best
Andy

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Has anyone tried Arla Skyr yet?

Yup, good stuff. It's the only unfettered dairy product I've found which doesn't make me I'll ~ always a plus, that I actively enjoy it is a bonus :)

Locally, at least, it looks like tesco is going to drop it :( (The intro price never went to full before dropping to half price)

Very good with granola and even better if you add some chilled fruit (Skyr + granola + blueberries ;) )

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a real shame Rob, I'm sorry to hear that.

Please do post the name up Goatboy. I'd be interested to try that out.

All the best
Andy
Hi Andy,
The French yoghurt is called La Fermiére. A link to their webpage HERE

The pots come in different colours depending on the flavour contained. The pots have all sorts of uses.
images

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
You can keep that. I tried the fish "crisps" - different to the jerky I'm sure but the crisps were just nasty....

Andy

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
You can keep that. I tried the fish "crisps" - different to the jerky I'm sure but the crisps were just nasty....

Andy

Never tried the crisps, just the bitafiskur. It smells like the scuppers on a badly maintained trawler but the actual taste is much milder than you'd imagine. I did pass up the various delicacies involving shark that had been buried for 6 months though...

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I couldn't find anywhere that would sell that which was a shame as I had hoped to give it a try. I did see Sheep's head in the shops but wanted to try it from a restaurant.

Andy

Olly

Feb 25, 2007
Co. Durham
Re the brown cheese, there's a deli near Hexam Abbey that sells it - although having tasted it I suspect they give most of it away :)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Brown cheese is great. Though I was told by a Norwegian I was strange to like it as most foreigners don't... I thought it was pretty good. :p

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I tried brown cheese once. Spent most of the next hour trying to remove the taste from my mouth. :yuck:

I also tried a Finnish cheese once. That was quite nice, but was so rubbery it acually squeaked against your teeth when chewed!

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I found the skyr in Asda today but they only had strawberry and honey flavours. I wasn't particularly impressed, the taste was good but the texture was pretty gloopy and that clearly comes from the starch which is on the ingredients list and is presumably used to thicken it. My guess is that the real thing is just an ordinary yoghurt with some of the whey drained out, rather like making soft cheese.

I like gjetost, the brown cheese.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE